'83 XS400K Maxim fires "harder" on the right cylinder?

Noah Adams
This post is 5790 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Okay, first of all... when I let the bike sit for a bit (ie- from when I get to work in the morning, until I go to leave for lunch), the right cylinder will load up and misfire for a bit until I get it cleared it out. usually I rev it a few times, let it idle while I put on my helmet, and it's okay after that. Well, while diagnosing this issue, I had my hand in front of the exhaust opening. It was then that I noticed that the right cylinder has a much more forceful exhaust "pop" than the left side. Even at idle, with both hands over the exhaust, it's quite noticible.

What would cause something like this? I think I might be looking at two different things... one, the flooding, and two, the apparently imbalance of the cylinders.

Is it possible that the right side carb is always open just a bit more than the left?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Okay, first of all... when I let the bike sit for a bit (ie- from when I get to work in the morning, until I go to leave for lunch), the right cylinder will load up and misfire for a bit until I get it cleared it out. usually I rev it a few times, let it idle while I put on my helmet, and it's okay after that. Well, while diagnosing this issue, I had my hand in front of the exhaust opening. It was then that I noticed that the right cylinder has a much more forceful exhaust "pop" than the left side. Even at idle, with both hands over the exhaust, it's quite noticible.

What would cause something like this? I think I might be looking at two different things... one, the flooding, and two, the apparently imbalance of the cylinders.

Is it possible that the right side carb is always open just a bit more than the left?

It could be. It also could be the carbs being out of adjustment with the one side richer than the other. Make sure the carbs are properly cleaned and adjusted and balance them. This of course is assuming that the compression is in spec on both sides.

It could be. It also could be the carbs being out of adjustment with the one side richer than the other. Make sure the carbs are properly cleaned and adjusted and balance them. This of course is assuming that the compression is in spec on both sides.

use a carb balancer and get the needles pointing the same direction. if you can't get them to match then you have ignition or compression issues.