Damn and blast.

ReBorne
This post is 5780 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, took the bike (FZ400RL) for it's MOT. :angry:

After he stopped laughing (I wish I was joking there) he pointed out a few things and asked me if I REALLY wanted to go ahead with the MOT......

I have to admit, that while I'm ok with mechanics and (if I say so myself) pretty good with cars, I've never took a bike for an MOT before. My previous bike ownership was back before my car days and they were new, so no need. I know she doesn't LOOK amazing, but I didn't expect things to be *too* bad. Her electrics are all hunky dory, all the switches do what they should etc etc.

He gave it a cursory look over. The list he rattled out? Here goes..... fork seals, brake pads (oil from seals now on disc), missing bolt on caliper(!?! WTF? I'm SURE that was there before I set out, I mean, even *I* don't miss crap like that!), rear suspension refusing to bounce back up, chain tension (which I thought was borderline anyhow but not exactly hard to resolve), no reflector........ and the exhaust will get an advisory coz it's sorta loudish but not excessive. Yet.

So yeah, I'm gutted. Couple of days off this week are now going to be spent in the garage ripping her apart - the main thing to me is the forks, I tried doing them when I first got the bike coz the previous owner knew they were gone, and I managed to **** up a fork trying to change it, and had to shell out for another one. So, they're coming off and he's gonna get them to do.

The awful thing is, the whole reason I want her back on the road is to save money, not have to shell out silly amounts more. Having to pay for the insurance deposit and MOT was pushing it this month, so I guess it'll be next month now. GGGRRRRRRR.

</vent>

The only good thing is that the fuel starvation definately seems to have been sorted. The 1.5 mile each way ride was no problem, no hitches and bloody good fun. Kinda bodes well for the future....... hopefully. Oh, and I've been working on a paint job/design for her, so while she's in bits I *might* get started on that - well, the base black anyway.

Guess it also shows how ignorant and naive I can bee too. lol.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi ReBorne, sorry to hear that, but it all sounds fairly minor stuff (If youre lucky) dont think you'll have too much difficulty sorting it, you just need to source some caliper seals and hopefully the rear suspension is just a tight / dry pivot on the linkage somewhere. On the plus side, youre really learning about that bike of yours.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online