73 Enduro 175 issue

hueloovoo
This post is 5803 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just like 2stroker over in the dual-sport forums, I bought a '73 Enduro 175 dual sport bike, and am having difficulty with it. I was riding it home from buying it, and it ran great, really fun ride, until about 20 miles in. I didn't redline it but I was staying steady in the high RPMs, doing 55-60 MPH, staying around 6k RPMs (if I was reading it right) but well below the 7.5k redline. Anyway, it ran a little rough at that high RPMs but it seemed to be doing okay for 20 miles or so then it got a bit rougher, and I grabbed the clutch and it died. Since then I have been unable to get it to start.

I've been reading around a bit, and looking at 2stroker's post it sounds like my problem could be the same, clogged main jet or bad points, but honestly I just don't know, and wanted some advice before I take it to the shop. After all, part of the fun of owning a small bike like that is maintaining it yourself, right? If anyone has some advice or experience here I'd love to hear it, I already love this bike, and I wanna get it running again!

--Angie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hope youre right, because bad points or clogged jet arent too serious.

Can you turn the engine over with the kickstart and in doing so can you feel compression?

Yes, it turns over fine, and I hear the slight *blublub* sound that I'm pretty sure means decent compression, it just won't fire.

Pulled out the spark plug ad kicked it over, gas squirted in so the main jet must be fine, but no spark I could see, so now I need to check the points. Unfortunately one of the screws on the cover would rather strip than come out. Yay for screw puller I guess. Still, forward motion and all. Thanks for the advice so far and I'll post more as I get more time to work on it.

Side note: It's okay to replace those screws with bolts, right? I hate the way screws strip when they stick.

If youre checking for a spark,

Turn the engine over to make sure that the points open and close properly

Now turn the engine until such a point where the points are closed

Remove the spark plug and connect it to the HT lead, leave it resting on cylinder head, it needs to be grounded

Turn on ignition

Now flick open the points using something to lift them, you dont need to turn the engine over!!

Each time the points open, you should see a spark at the plug.

All this assumes that the ignition on your bike works from the battery

All this assumes that the ignition on your bike works from the battery

It doesn't have a starter, but the ignition worked fine the first few times I started it, so unless the wiring went bad while I was driving, which I guess is possible, it's probably fine, I think...

It doesn't have a starter, but the ignition worked fine the first few times I started it, so unless the wiring went bad while I was driving, which I guess is possible, it's probably fine, I think...

No i think youve misunderstood me

I know the bike has no starter motor

But usually, the ignition system (Spark) is fed by the battery. If this is the case you should be able to do what i said last.

However sometimes the ignition sys is powered by the alternator, if this is the case you could not test for spark as i said, because the engine has to be turning...

No i think youve misunderstood me

I know the bike has no starter motor

But usually, the ignition system (Spark) is fed by the battery. If this is the case you should be able to do what i said last.

However sometimes the ignition sys is powered by the alternator, if this is the case you could not test for spark as i said, because the engine has to be turning...

Well, as soon as I manage to get that stripped screw out I'll try it. ^.^ Though when I looked up the points this afternoon to see what to look for, they were nothing like what I remembered my friend replacing years and years ago. I think I was helping him with a completely different part. Still, I'm pretty sure I can find them now that I know what to look for. I don't know much of what I'm doing yet, but with some tips and a little digging around, maybe I can learn.

As soon as I get that stupid screw out.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online