How to remove fuel cap on XJ600?

RichC
This post is 5829 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All:

I am new to riding, and bought a 1998 XJ600N a couple of weeks ago. Everything has been going fine until today. On the way to work, my keys fell out of the ignition somewhere along the A3. Oh joy. And I don't have spares. I've ordered a lockset from Yamaha which should arrive tomorrow, but in the mean time I'm not sure if I have enough fuel to get home. If I undo the hex screws on the fuel cap, should it all just come away so I can fuel up? And if anyone has any advice about fitting a lock set (ignition, fuel cap and seat lock), I'd be very grateful to hear it. The ignition is in the on position in case you were wondering how I would start it.

Many Thanks ... Rich

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Rich

I got an XJ in bits at the moment giving it a respray, from what I can remember when dismantling the tank I don't think it's as simple as just undoing the allen bolts, I think the key lock actualy latches on the tank itself stopping the whole assembly being removed. I may be wrong, you may aswell try if you've got an allen key to hand, it might loosen it enough to come out with some jigery pokery but I guess the whole point of it having a lock it so you can't get in there without a key.

That went well. I used a 10mm drill bit, went slowly, and brushed off the filings as i went, so they wouldn't fall into the tank. You don't need to drill all the way through.

Hi All:

I am new to riding, and bought a 1998 XJ600N a couple of weeks ago. Everything has been going fine until today. On the way to work, my keys fell out of the ignition somewhere along the A3. Oh joy. And I don't have spares. I've ordered a lockset from Yamaha which should arrive tomorrow, but in the mean time I'm not sure if I have enough fuel to get home. If I undo the hex screws on the fuel cap, should it all just come away so I can fuel up? And if anyone has any advice about fitting a lock set (ignition, fuel cap and seat lock), I'd be very grateful to hear it. The ignition is in the on position in case you were wondering how I would start it.

Many Thanks ... Rich

The key should not be able to come out of the ignition when switched on, so it must have been faulty.

Well done with the drilling out, Good luck fitting the new lock set.

The key should not be able to come out of the ignition when switched on, so it must have been faulty.

Well done with the drilling out, Good luck fitting the new lock set.

Thanks, fitting the new set was fairly easy. The yamaha dealer said I would need to drill out the security locks on the ignition switch, but I took the mounting block off the new one and fitted the switch straight on to the old one. If you do this, be careful when you take the new ignition switch off, because the bits spring out easily (unless you know how to put it back together of course).

Cheers ... Rich

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online