R6 UnderSteer

R6_Vic
This post is 5889 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I've got a v late 2001 R6 & have noticed that it seems to really suffer from understeer at some bends. Bit strange because sometimes it feels spot on & then it just takes me completly by surprise and runs v wide....which isnt good because its not predictable! I havent had it long so could be just a case of getting used to it. But any input would be good.

Cheers

Vic

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

never heard of bike understeering in some corners and not others, that dont make sense,your most likely doing something different , best thing you can ever do when cornering is always look all the way through and out of the bend never look at kerb!!!!

Yea I know thats why I've posted, It's very strange and doesnt seem to make sense. The only thing I can think of is the suspension setup is way out, Ive been riding bikes for about 20 years on & off but have been used to a CBR 600 for the last couple of years so it is a completly differnt ride. Any other suggestions or setup details would be very helpfull.

cheers

vic

hi vic. if i was you i would run ohlins fork springs and new oil in your forks also poss drop yokes down the forks 6/8 mm. what tyres do you run? what pressures?what sizes?

I've got the stock dunlop's on at the mo as they came with a new set with the bike. Pressures are 40 rear & 36 front. From what I've read up on it looks like the last owner has fiddled with the suspension setup as its nothing like standard settings. Any tips on good suspension settings too?

thanks for your input so far...its very much appreciated

Vic

ok, well start off by setting suspension back to standard, yam set bikes up for 11/12 stone guys, what do you weigh? try 36 psi in each tyre, what model dunnies are they? dunlops are notorious for (drop in). ie they feel like they want to drop you onto knee at every corner,your best off going for a rounded profile pr of tyres like b stones bt14/15/16. or pirelli corsa.

When it comes to weight I'm like a jockey :D I weigh 10 stone 9, I've been messing with my suspension today & things have improved jimmy...a hell of a lot, I still run a bit wide at some bends but this seems to be at high speed & roundabouts. I'm going to take your advice and drop the forks and see how I get on from there, Ive a steering damper on order too which should help with wobble once done. The Dunlops Ive got on are 'Sportmax D208' which really arent my choice of rubber...but like i posted before they were put on the bike by the place I bought the bike from. Thanks for all your advice mate...I think its just a matter of tweaking & fidddling until I get the right combination.

vic

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online