Chain Lubrication

sim666
This post is 5871 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to invest in one of the chain lube systems (scottoiler etc) or stick with the spray lubes. Are the automatic systems too messy ? If spray on is better, which type: thick and sticky or a thinner one.. Any advice would be helpfull.

cheers sim666

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi with regards to the chain lube it is down to personal choice I have always used the Scottoiler system and found them to be fantastic, but they do take a bit of setting up so you don't over oil and end up with it all over the sidewall of the tire. Best to set up from the low setting and increase it if it still looks a bit dry, than slide down the road if it's to much. But if you go for the manual method allot of my friends prefer the chain wax as you don't get the fling off onto your tyre and it doesn't wash of as easy in the rain. Hope this helps Happy Safe Riding. :D

Certainly can't argue with the Personal Preference angle ;)

This is what I've been using for @ least 15 years of daily riding.....

2007_Bel-Ray_Super_Clean_Chain_Lube_--.jpg

Very Minimal mess.....plus I can get 1 of these cans to last just about Year as well B)

Certainly can't argue with the Personal Preference angle ;)

This is what I've been using for @ least 15 years of daily riding.....

2007_Bel-Ray_Super_Clean_Chain_Lube_--.jpg

Very Minimal mess.....plus I can get 1 of these cans to last just about Year as well B)

have you a picture of your xt mate,i just love them!

I've only just got back into biking after a 20 year break (yes! I know, far too long) I've bought a sensible 600 Diversion to ease my self back into the saddle and it came with a Scottoiler fitted, and I'm very pleased with it, but I still spray the chain with Chainlube, just to be sure.

I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to invest in one of the chain lube systems (scottoiler etc) or stick with the spray lubes. Are the automatic systems too messy ? If spray on is better, which type: thick and sticky or a thinner one.. Any advice would be helpfull.

cheers sim666

I've just fitted a scottoiler to my TDM but my Fazer is spray on lubrication. Either way takes some commitment if you want to make the chain last, it needs to be cleaned regular. :blink:

Last year I bought a Scottoiler off ebay, it was the full touring one with the reservoir that sits behind the number plate.

It was my intention to fit it to my Honda (I kow that's a bit of a dIrty word on this forum so I apologise) CB500.

An arguement with a Ford Mondeo ptu paid to the Honda and I never got round to using it.

When I got my Divvy 600s I decided to fit a chain oiler but I didn't fancy all the tackle with the Scottoiler and I didn't fancy butchering it to use only a few bits so I bought a Loobman chain oiler.

They are a bit fiddly to fit but at only £17 or so it does the job. A quick squeeze and she's ready to go (unlike the wife).

Plus wit a Loobman you can use any oil at all.

My personal opinion is if you are going to do astronomical mileage and want something you never have to 'prime before you ride then buy a Scottoiler (and wince at the cost) or alternatively if you don't mind priming the Loobman every time

before you set off buy one of those.

Personally I am gald to be rid of the need to spray the chain.

Safe Riding to you all

Put a Scottoiler on my Fazer as soon as I bought it (5yrs ago), and got a second hand one (£30) for the missus's GPZ500 (seemed like a fair swap! :D ).

Have used a chaintec automatic oiler in the past, but the scottoiler is the one for me.

Just need to check that it's topped up with oil every now and then.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online