82 xs400 specialII frame question>

cafe-J
This post is 5895 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am looking to customize my 82 xs4oo special II...I bought a small solo springer seat for the rear and I am going for a bobber meets cafe' racer look....the problem is people are telling me not to cut the frame behind the rear shocks, to me it just looks like it supports the seat. Will taking off a couple of inches make my bike weak. Has anyone done this before? Will it be O'K if I just weld some extra supports in there? Any advice is appreciated.

l_1d82e9de6c8e4e32643f3b3b633fa6cd.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am looking to customize my 82 xs4oo special II...I bought a small solo springer seat for the rear and I am going for a bobber meets cafe' racer look....the problem is people are telling me not to cut the frame behind the rear shocks, to me it just looks like it supports the seat. Will taking off a couple of inches make my bike weak. Has anyone done this before? Will it be O'K if I just weld some extra supports in there? Any advice is appreciated.

l_1d82e9de6c8e4e32643f3b3b633fa6cd.jpg

I've got an XS250 and I think the frames are pretty similar. I'm putting a street tracker together (with my boyfriend's help!) and we cut the subframe back to just past the rear shocks. The cross member that the standard seat rests on looks structural, but if you replace it with something first there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to cut right up to the rear shock mounts. Just make sure that whoever does your welding does it properly!

Here's a pic or two of what we did to my frame-

Photo-0093.jpg

Photo-0094.jpg

not brilliant, but hopefully they'll give you an idea.

Here's a page of Japanese chops n bobbers too, some of them are cut right back-

http://homepage2.nifty.com/fbs/custom.htm

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online