Thundercat power issues

valkerez
This post is 5557 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I really need to know if any one has any ideas to this problem of mine so here goes..

I've got my '98 thundercat and had it restricted to 33bhp (I'm only 18) and we've had nothing but trouble with it.

Its very reluctant to get past the 6-7000 rev mark and wont go much past 70mph, wont move off from stand still very well and acceleration is very poor (worse than my 125). It did have a Scorpian exhaust on it and I'm wondering whether its been re-tuned to get the most out of it and its just not suiting the restrictors

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi I really need to know if any one has any ideas to this problem of mine so here goes..

I've got my '98 thundercat and had it restricted to 33bhp (I'm only 18) and we've had nothing but trouble with it.

Its very reluctant to get past the 6-7000 rev mark and wont go much past 70mph, wont move off from stand still very well and acceleration is very poor (worse than my 125). It did have a Scorpian exhaust on it and I'm wondering whether its been re-tuned to get the most out of it and its just not suiting the restrictors

What was it like before the bike was restricted?... some kits are pretty poor.

If it had just a race can on it I doubt it would have been setup for it as they dont really need it ... if its had K&N as well then its very possible the carbs have been fettled...

But personally I would remove the restrictor kit and see what its like then... some bikes dont like being restricted.

found out what the problemo was. Cylinder 3 wasnt firing, one of the leads was not connectedto a bit right next the carbs.

easy mistake suppose but at least its working good and proper now.

thanks for your help anyway. ;)

• 11 months later...

hi can you please till me where you got the restriction kit from and how much did it cost. thank you

Thundercats when restricted correctly should have no problems. It sounds like you have an underlying problem somewhere.

I would recommend putting everything back to stock while it is restricted as any 'performance' aftermarket goodies (can, K&N, plugs, etc) will not work well on a restricted engine, purely because they were not designed to be used on 33 BHP.

I've restricted at leat 100 cats with no problems at all when stock.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online