Hard Start WR 400

tumbleweed
This post is 5753 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just purchased a 1999 WR 400 and it is a beast to crank, I have been choking it and pushing the kick start through top dead center by pulling the compression release then kicking it ,...man,.. and if I choke it down in the woods it again is the devil to get cranked, is there an easier cranking method? also what does the red choke button do?

thanks for anyone willing to comment.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just purchased a 1999 WR 400 and it is a beast to crank, I have been choking it and pushing the kick start through top dead center by pulling the compression release then kicking it ,...man,.. and if I choke it down in the woods it again is the devil to get cranked, is there an easier cranking method? also what does the red choke button do?

thanks for anyone willing to comment.

i had a 2000 wr 400 for a couple of years ,had no trouble starting it.take it just over tdc good kick and fired up nicely.they do need to be kept well serviced oil/filters(air +oil)and the odd plug.

the red knob/button is the hot start only use when hot.

the 99 model was,nt the best ,2000 was vast improvement that does,nt help you mind.

there is a fix for manual de-comp and thats to fit later camshaft theres an article on thumpertalk .

• 3 months later...

hi mate i got same bike ..as said above is the best way to start ..kick the start down till piston his tdc ( top dead centre )..then pull de comp lever in and push the kick start down about 2"...let go of lever bring the kick lever back up and kick away ... :rolleyes:

works every time for me ..

26042008145-1.jpg

26042008146-1.jpg

hi mate i got same bike ..as said above is the best way to start ..kick the start down till piston his tdc ( top dead centre )..then pull de comp lever in and push the kick start down about 2"...let go of lever bring the kick lever back up and kick away ... :rolleyes:

works every time for me ..

26042008145-1.jpg

26042008146-1.jpg

Hey I was looking at your reply to tubbleweed about starting 1999 wr 400 f I to bought one and I,m having same problem . When I bought it he could crank it , but the choke doesn,t lock out is this my cause for not starting ? I can push start it in second. I just not familar with four strokes only bikes I,ve owned were two strokes also seems to have a lot of heat is this normal? thanks for any help Ps nice bike russ

• 1 month later...

Hey I was looking at your reply to tubbleweed about starting 1999 wr 400 f I to bought one and I,m having same problem . When I bought it he could crank it , but the choke doesn,t lock out is this my cause for not starting ? I can push start it in second. I just not familar with four strokes only bikes I,ve owned were two strokes also seems to have a lot of heat is this normal? thanks for any help Ps nice bike russ

hi mate they do get quite hot ..i got a vaper on mine so it tells you the temp , i can some times feel the heat though my boot...lol..i dont use the choke ..never needed it ..( to start..i in morn 1st thing ...:- i just pull de-comp lever in kick it down i few times get some oil pumped round the head...let go of lever and push the kick start down till it wont move any more ( then its at tdc ( top dead centre )...then pull de-comp lever in and push the kick start down about 2"...twist the throttle twice to squirt some gas in and ...boom starts every time without choke ..also if you flood it ...just pull de-comp lever in and keep kicking it ..gets rid off all the exese gas in carb...hope all this helps ..it helped me ...lol....ride safe...dave

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online