DTR125 milky transmission oil

Dave P
This post is 5708 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Quick question, looking for advice. I have a 91 DTR125, with only 6000km on the clock. The temp guage has been reading high, I changed the transmission oil to find that it was very milky.

I suspect that the problem lies either with the water pump gasket or cylinder head gasket - can anyone be more precise before I start the work?

Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Milky oil is caused by water in the oil that is then 'emulsified' (sp) by the oil pump. The most common places as you sday are the head gasket and the water pump. However a leaking head gasket can often also cause a blowing piston and therefore cause the engine to be low on power due to poor compression.

Personally I would change the pump or at least it's gasket first as this is the simpler, most likely and cheapest of the possible reasons for milky oil.

ohh btw maybe http://www.dtr125.net/ is worth something to you.

My guess (and haynes) would be, to take apart the waterpump, and replace the sealing between waterpump and engine.

Hi

Changed the cylinder head gasket today, which was badly worn. All seems to be well now, will give it a thorough blast on Sunday.

Thanks for the responses.

dave

• 6 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online