Help with CBT and Standard Motorcycle A2 Licence

Oily Fingers
This post is 5925 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right, i know i dont come on here very much and i will do my best to come on here more.

Right then, i am looking into taking my CBT, and then move on to the Standard Motorcycle A2 Licence, where i am rescrited to bikes of no more then 33bhp.

I am 18 and passed my car test last year.

I have been looking round on some websites at what i need to take and pass, and cam across a site saying

"Riders holding a full car licence issued before 01/02/2001 are permitted to ride a 50cc moped on the road without taking a CBT. With a CBT, they can ride up to 125cc. Full car licence holders issued on or after 01/02/2001 must complete a CBT for both a 50cc moped and a 125cc motorcycle. "

so do i need to take both CBT things for the 50 and the 125??

Also as i ave my car Licence, do i need to send away for the motorcycle part??

If anyone can give me a clear guide on what i need to do, i am be bvery greatful.

cheers Joel

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok now

as you passed your car test last year that was after 2001

so you need to take a CBT to ride a bike, 50cc restricted too 1.5 bhp or something and 30 mph and you will not need L plates i think. but the same CBT counts on the 125 as well, so you only need too take one CBT, I am sure your car license will have the bike provisional on it so no need to send away for it , just check, when i took my bike test 4 years ago i did not send off for anything, I took my car test back in the seventies though,

merv

on tyhe back of my driving licence its got a picture of a car and a Luton sized van.

So i only need to take the 125 CBT??

i'll have a run out to the dealer on saturday mabye and get them to clear it up.

but keeep the help coming lads and ladies

on tyhe back of my driving licence its got a picture of a car and a Luton sized van.

So i only need to take the 125 CBT??

i'll have a run out to the dealer on saturday mabye and get them to clear it up.

but keeep the help coming lads and ladies

you have to take your cbt to ride anything with 2 wheels fella. simple as that

• 3 weeks later...

If you did not tick the box on your licence application form for motorcycle provisional entitlement you will not have it.

now you have a full car licence, there is no automatic motor cycle entitlement, you have to do full cbt, theory and practical, but you can do none of these without provisional motorcycle entitlement. :angry:

check you paper counterpart, but i suspect it will not show it. there is a section immediately below your name and address that shows PROVISIONAL ENTITLEMENT. if it does not show category A you aint got it.

The pictures on the back of your pink photocard are (car) = group "B" cars, my also have "BE" car and trailer.

and the picture of a van is for commercial vehicles up to 3.5Tonne MGW. (transits / sprinters etc) = group C1

if in doubt go to http:// www.dvla.gov and navigate to provisional entitlement in the drivers licencing section.

Best bet is to find a local M/C training firm, go in and see them with all your licence bits. they will know exactly where you stand. If they cannot provide you with a definative answer on the spot, :o you are looking for a new training firm! :huh:

;) (next bit below for anyone in similar position who is a bit older)

If you re over 21, when you apply for provisional motorbike entitlement, ask for trucks and busses at the same time, it wont cost you any more, but if you want to drive any bigger than 3.5T mgw in the future you will already have it.

(you have to be over 21 for 3.5T+ these days)

also if over 21, consider direct access, it may be a more drawn out route, but once done you will have full etitlement straight away. ;)

What ever yoou are planning DO IT NOW! before the eurosuits feck it all up!. all changes again 1st October this year.

Get on with it young man, or you will being passed by the pipe and slipper old gits like me for the rest of your life! :rolleyes:

good luck. D. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online