bike won't start

jet22
This post is 5948 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I've got a xj600s divvy and I've got probs with it starting. I went out yesterday about 1pm and it started first time. Went to petrol station, put some fuel in the mule then went to grans. Stayed there for about 20 mins then went to shops. Was there a few mins then went to another shop for a few mins to get some b/day cards then stopped off on the way home to get some stamps. When I come to start it up at the last shop it wouldn't go. It turned over a few times then died on me. Had to push the bugger home which quite fortunately I was only 1/4 mile away thank god!

Anyway cut a long story short - I took out the plugs and checked them, I'm a new rider and I know more about cars than bikes but I'm sure the spark plugs where the blue spark generates is supposed to be bigger than a pin head? Is this true or are bike plugs different? I'm getting bright neutral light but when I go to start it goes dim and the bike struggles to turn over, stops - then the neutral light goes off. But when I release the starter switch the light comes back on. I'm charging the battery tonight and gonna fire it in tomoz and see if it starts but if it doesn't what can I check next, any suggestions or is it the spark plugs that are shagged?

nik

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Sounds very much like a poor earth connection, find where the earth strap from the -ve connection on battery goes to the engine. Remove and clean & grease connections.

Adam.

I think that apart from checking the earth connections as above, your starter motor has started to fail. If you have cleaned all of the electrical connections and the bike will not turn over fast then the starter is worn out.

I think that apart from checking the earth connections as above, your starter motor has started to fail. If you have cleaned all of the electrical connections and the bike will not turn over fast then the starter is worn out.

Lets not jump to conclusions here guys. The starting and then reaching the point where it won't even turn over sounds like the battery/charging system. Could be a bad earth (ground on this side of the pond) connection, but I would check the charging system first as it sounds like a charging problem (which I admit an earthing problem could cause). If the charging system goes out it doesn't take very long at all for the battery to run down at all, and that fits the symptoms the most closely in my experience. Your milage may vary, but I would check the charging system first since part of that check requires insuring all the electrical connections are good and solid.

well I charged the battery over night and still wouldn't start this morning. But I managed to bump start it though and took it for a spin round my area to warm up the engine etc. Got back to my house then left it running for a little while, turned it off, waited a few seconds then started it up normally and it worked. Switched it back off and tried the same procedure and it failed to start - much to my annoyance grrr Took the starter off, opened it up and checked insides and it was fine. I greased up the necessary parts and put it back together. Still wouldn't start!!!!! So bumped it again and took it down the local garage and asked the mechanic what he thought it might be, he said it sounds like the battery is at fault but won't know until he does a few tests on it tomorrow. He also said it couldn't be the starter cos he doesn't get many probs with them. So all going well tomoz I can get it sorted out

well I charged the battery over night and still wouldn't start this morning. But I managed to bump start it though and took it for a spin round my area to warm up the engine etc. Got back to my house then left it running for a little while, turned it off, waited a few seconds then started it up normally and it worked. Switched it back off and tried the same procedure and it failed to start - much to my annoyance grrr Took the starter off, opened it up and checked insides and it was fine. I greased up the necessary parts and put it back together. Still wouldn't start!!!!! So bumped it again and took it down the local garage and asked the mechanic what he thought it might be, he said it sounds like the battery is at fault but won't know until he does a few tests on it tomorrow. He also said it couldn't be the starter cos he doesn't get many probs with them. So all going well tomoz I can get it sorted out

It could be a faulty kill switch then?

don't think its that somehow cos it wouldn't of turn over at all. It goes to turn over then just dies slowly like its not got any power going to the starter. From previous experiences with cars I think its battery too but I may be mistaken.....

well...... I saw the bloke in the garage yesterday and he tested the battery for lvls and then the main battery tester to see if it was dud or not. According to his meter thingy the battery lvl was coming up as "bad" and "weak". He suggested me leaving the battery there, charging it overnight then testing it with a full charge to so spk. I said sack it may as well buy a new battery, he said ok no probs. Anyhoo's I bought me a new battery, filled the acid stuff up in it, left it an hour like the bloke said then fire it on the bike and it should be ok. I did that, took the bike out for a spin for half hour then came home. Switched off then started again and it was ok. Bit early to say that the battery was the culprit so gonna wait and see over the next few days/this week to see if the problem persists then its def something else.........

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online