My girl's first run

andy1201
This post is 6011 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,gave in on Sunday to the begging from my youngest daughter(10) to take her for a run,she had been on all my bikes before but never very far so we headed for Peeble's,the weather was crap but she thought it was great and we got the biggest chocolate eclair I've ever seen from a bakery in Kilcadzow(took 4 to finish it),think she's a future biker :D2007_n10.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Andy

I have a nagging son who would like to jump on the back. I keep saying no as he's 9 and I'm not convinced he'll be strong enough to last more than a few minutes. I've only had my licence since August and have only done 2000 odd miles so am also not sure if I will be ready to carry him or the wife either.

What sort of distances and duration do you take your daughter out for? I'd also be grateful for any advice on carry a passenger.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Andy

I have a nagging son who would like to jump on the back. I keep saying no as he's 9 and I'm not convinced he'll be strong enough to last more than a few minutes. I've only had my licence since August and have only done 2000 odd miles so am also not sure if I will be ready to carry him or the wife either.

What sort of distances and duration do you take your daughter out for? I'd also be grateful for any advice on carry a passenger.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

I started by taking my youngest on short trips(5 or 10 miles)to build her confidence two or three trips,the last trip was about 100miles with 3 stops,as for advice get a pillion pal(belt with handles) it's easier for small hands to hold on to than trying to hold on to your jacket,tell your son to sit close up to you and keep his body in line with yours,he can always look sideways as he probably won't see much ahead,as for you take it easy and be very alert(more than usual if you can be).Stay relaxed,you will feel any movement a pillion will make it's nothing to worry about, just be aware it will feel a bit strange for a while,your son and wife will love it,be safe mate hope this helps,

Cheers Andy. :D

.P.S

make sure your kid has the right gear on,everthing zipped,velcrowed and tied before you leave then he won't have to try and sort it himself on the move

Evening

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. The pillion pal seems like a cracking idea as my main worry was him falling off the back when his arms got tired!

We're going to the bike show next week so will hopefully kit my wife and son out and will venture out with Sam when it's still light after school and the roads aren't so slippery and once I'm used to a light one on the back, I'll try the heavier one!!

Thanks again.

Mark

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online