Strange noise

maintainright
This post is 6021 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning all

Just back from a morning run and the bike started to make a strange mechanical noise in 1st and 2nd gear.

Most apparent when I was pulling away from lights etc ie going up the box, didnt make the noise when I was going back down the box.

I've let her settle for a wee bit and checked the oil but theres nothing amiss there.

Chain and sprockets could probably do with getting replaced, but they arent bad, not sure if that would be the cause of the noise.

Noise was a very metalic rattling/clanging sound, crapped meself cause I thought it sounded like the centre stand had come down and was banging along the road.

Any ideas, advice, things to check?

Bikes a 92 XJ600 pre div

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First thing to do is find out exactly where the sound is coming from. If you can select all of the gears and it drives normally then the gearbox must be OK. Has the action of the clutch changed recently? Has the rear wheel moved off centre? Are all the teeth still on the sprockets?

If you cannot find anything and it is still making a noise, its probably gearbox bearings.

Check the final drive; i.e. all sprockets tight, nothing jammed againt or touching the chain. Rear axle is tight?

Is this noise only when the bike is moving? What if you have the bike on the main stand, apply the rear brake and then try to let the clutch out? (Engine running of course, keep dogs/cats/kids away from the rear wheel!) Whilst on the main stand, try rotating the front wheel too. (Get that dog/cat/kid to sit on the pillion seat to drop the rear end down.)

Check the rear brake caliper too and any linkages. Does the sound change if you do/don't use the rear brake when slowing down?

Thanks for the replys

Checked everything, all tight and straight

On the main stand I can put her in gear, clutch out and go up and down the box no probs, no strange noises, noticed that its easier to get her into neutral when like this aswell.

I decided to take her round the block a few times and all is well, then as she gets hotter the noise returns, like a clunking sound and she gets harder to put into neutral. Is it possible when hot the oil gets too thin?

Annoying thing is it's only when I'm on the move that I can hear the sound, so it's a bugger to pinpoint it.

Spoke to a New Zealander who's had a fair few of these bikes and he reckons that when the oils on the way out the gearboxes can get noisy and harder to shift/find neutral.

I dont think theres anything MAJOR wrong(fingers crossed), so I'm gonna book her into a guy with a good rep and just get her serviced and a good look over.

Thanks for your advice and time guys

It is very important to check for metal in the drained oil. If there is anything metalic find out if its steel (magnetic) or a soft alloy. This might guide you to what is wrong. If there is a large amount of debris then the whole oil system will need to be flushed and refilled, changing the filter again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online