chain problem!

colliboy
This post is 6031 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I wonder if anyone could help me!? when going along the road i feel a thump throught the foot pegs when i say thump mor of a bumping. When i put the bike on a stand i turnned the rear wheel and the chain was going tight then slack and there is like a creaking coming from around the rear sprocket. i have also found that the rear wheel is off an r1 17" and not the 18" that should be on the 1988 genisis I like it with the 17" this problem has only started in the last week after getting a new tyre fitted the cain and sprokits are in good cond i dont want to rid my beast incase there is something going to pop.

the squeak is like rubber rubbing together, and it only dose that when the chain hits the tight point be good if anyone can help quickly miss me beast

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds very much like your chain is U/S the squeak you here when the chain is tight is the rubber cush drive inside the rear sprocket carrier.

As the wheel is not standard, check that the chain is aligned proper, you can purchase a laser aligner for about £25.

Adam.

Sounds very much like your chain is U/S the squeak you here when the chain is tight is the rubber cush drive inside the rear sprocket carrier.

As the wheel is not standard, check that the chain is aligned proper, you can purchase a laser aligner for about £25.

Adam.

adam what do you mean u/s and thanks for the reply i will recheak the linement and let you know if there is still aproblem

I wonder if anyone could help me!? when going along the road i feel a thump throught the foot pegs when i say thump mor of a bumping. When i put the bike on a stand i turnned the rear wheel and the chain was going tight then slack and there is like a creaking coming from around the rear sprocket. i have also found that the rear wheel is off an r1 17" and not the 18" that should be on the 1988 genisis I like it with the 17" this problem has only started in the last week after getting a new tyre fitted the cain and sprokits are in good cond i dont want to rid my beast incase there is something going to pop.

the squeak is like rubber rubbing together, and it only dose that when the chain hits the tight point be good if anyone can help quickly miss me beast

I think the problem is that the rear sprocket has the wrong number of teeth. It could also be that the chain is too long. In fact the whole rear wheel setup could be wrong.

Why have you bought a bike with the wrong and probably MOT failing rear wheel? You have been done.

I think the problem is that the rear sprocket has the wrong number of teeth. It could also be that the chain is too long. In fact the whole rear wheel setup could be wrong.

Why have you bought a bike with the wrong and probably MOT failing rear wheel? You have been done.

Have you checked the chain for tight spots or stuck links? You may have had a tight spot before your new tyre, but when the tyre got fitted, the fitter probably adjusted the wheel at the slack point in the chain. I.e. the chain goes tight now. Is the rear axle at the same position in both adjusters on the swinging arm? (Look for the alignment marks.)

If the chain slackness is changing as the wheel rotates, either the the front sprocket is not centred on the gearbox output shaft properly, the rear sprocket is not centered on the rear axle properly or the chain is damaged. (Is it tight/slack at the same position when you rotate the rear wheel? Is it tight at only one point for a full rotation of the rear wheel?)

The thump could be the chain hitting the tight spot or maybe even something jammed in the chain. E.g. small stone. Is this an endless chain?

First, inspect your chain; find the tight spot. Then, I'd be pulling the wheel off and checking the cush drive for wear and making sure nothing is "missing". (There is often a spacer between the wheel and drive sprocket carrier.) Also, does the rear sprocket look centered on the sprocket carrier? Don't ride it with a tight chain!

I doubt the MOT checks for "correct wheel size"; just wheel bearing condition, chain/sprocket condition and tyre condition & tread depth.

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online