'86 yx600

Brady
This post is 3713 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an '86 Radian that I bought for dirt cheap, which runs great but was crashed. Im building a bobber out of it and I'm wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this to a Radian. Ive seen people build bobbers out of many other Yamaha bikes like the xs650, but never a Radian. If anyone has seen another custom Radian or has one , I'd like to see how the bike came out.

• 5 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey dude, Igot to admit ,I don't even know what a bobber is, but it seems like your the only other person who has an 86 Radian. I myself like mine the way it is (aside from non-mobile),but was wondering if you had any useful info on affordable parts(i.e. ignitor).Anyway, educate on the bobber thing. Would like to see some pics/vids.Later man.

Ha! We must be the only 3 Radian owners in the world! I've never seen so many people talk about this bike! I've got an '86 myself that I just got back on the road. It's only got 9900 original miles on it too. I believe you're asking if anyone has converted this bike into a cafe style ride, right? I'm in the process of putting some drag bars on it and trying to get that cafe style look so I'll pm you some links to a photobucket album once I'm done. Good luck with the bike and I'll talk to you guys soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently bought an 86 Radian for dirt cheap also......so that makes 4 of us..lol......any places to get parts besides hunting on ebay.....i am looking for a new can(gas tank)....mine has a very large dent in it.....

Jim

North Augusta, SC

• 1 month later...

I've been having friends buy radians or FZX/Fazers for starter bikes. They are getting very hard to find for either one. Both are light and nimble and of course the FZX is much faster. The radian is still a very good bike and dependable too.

Good luck making it your own!

Sean

Greetings from the Isle of Skye!

I'm slowly (oh so very slowly!) putting together an '89 Radian which I picked up a few months ago. Most of the parts needed, I've found,...except for a replacement fuse box. Nothing found on ebay as yet, so I was wondering if a shout out here might prove to be lucky! (fingers crossed).

Thanks.

PS - will gladly post some Scottish shortbread as a "thank you!" : )

Cheers,

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a radian as well. My riding buddy from Ga had one for a while too, did a lot of work to it to make it more like a streetfighter. Even put a zx6 front end on it. He sold it to a motorcycle shop cause the owner liked it so much, and he ended up going out of business and the bike went to mexico with all the guys other stock. Buddy was pissed, he wanted to buy it back. Great bikes, i'm rebuilding mine and making a fighter of types out of it for the O/L to learn to ride on, well and me to play with too. Mine is in about 500 pieces right now but it going back together quickly.

..except for a replacement fuse box. Nothing found on ebay as yet, so I was wondering if a shout out here might prove to be lucky! (fingers crossed).

Does it have to be a Radian fusebox?

My XS400 fusebox looked like this:

6529fusebox.jpg

So I fitted one I got off eBay for about a fiver:

9326newfusebox.jpg

It was originally meant for an MG midget, but it works just fine.

Or there's:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...es/holders1.php

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...es/holders3.php

cl1352.jpg

Hi Xmastree!

Thanks for the info, it's the best news I've had yet! I'll have a look on Ebay now to see if I can get a f-box for an XS400 as it looks identical to the Radian's. Failing that I'll look out for an MG Midget box as you did.

Thanks for the guidance, it really is greatly appreciated.

All the breast,...

Skyelife Steve.

• 2 months later...

I just purchased a 1988 Radian YX600 myself. and it appears certain parts are very hard to come by. I also need a gas tank and fuse box. I'm going to look into the fuse box I see recommended here. any idea's on a fuel tank? The only one I found in ebay is in about the same condition as the one I already have.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Radian Onwer as well. Although I am afraid that mine has about 25K miles on it. I too had the disturbingly flimsy fuse box. I remeber the first day I opened it up and was astounded that it still worked properly. I replaced mine as well.

So far everything is mostly ok. I think my rear bearings just decided to go and I have a knocking sound from the crank (I think it is the primary drive chain)

• 5 years later...
This post is 3713 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.