fj1200 front end shaking

Josh
This post is 6074 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

recently I have notice that when doing only 25-30 mph the front wheel shakes and is all over the road.The only thing I found wrong was 1 fork seal was leaking. Can anyone tell me if that seal would cause that or any other ideas any help would be appreciated? thanks in advance Josh

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds a bit dodgey to me.

Does it happen on one piece of road or any road? Have you checked the tyre (tire) for bulges or damage? Has the front wheel been fitted properly and is tight and bearings OK? Are the steering head bearings OK? Has the wheel been properly balenced and are the weights still on the wheel?

Does the bike start to weave when the vibration starts? Is the front wheel out of round?

Let us know what happens.

I had a similar problem on my FJ and I found that when I replaced the O/E rear shock the problem disapeared. If I tried to take my hands of the bars at any speed the bars would flap into a tank slapper. I must confess that I was very suprised that the rear shocker could cause this but after recent discusion with the FJ owners club it was a reasonably common fault.

Are you running a O/E shock or have you upgraded as I would guess that a 21 year old FJ's back shock would be shot, they did not last more than 30,000 miles.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I am having the same problem with handle-bar wobble at anytime when I take my hands off the bars. Front fork seals are leaking and wheels need balancing, but what about the rear shock fix? Dont really want to spend money/effort on the wrong fix!

Can anyone recommend a good honest motorcycle dealer near Market Harborough UK, who would suggest the best fix?

FJer