FZR1000 tapping noise

kpmonti
This post is 6109 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all. I purchased a beautifully taken care of 1994 FZR1000 two weeks ago. I am new to street bikes, but not new to motorcycles, I raced motocross for 15 years, and maintained all my bikes(full engine rebuilds and all).

On my way home from work today, I noticed a tapping noise coming from my new baby. It sounded like a valve severly out of adjustment, or something to that effect. When I got home, a mechanics stethiscope lead me to the rear of the engine. I could not identify the noise source perfectly, but it was loudest from the clutch cover. The tapping is not audible until about 3500rpm, is consistent with RPM, in any gear, with or without the clutch engaged.

The bike has 17K on it, and appears to never have been abused. I changed the oil 250 miles ago with Mobil 1 super syn and a mobil 1 m1 110 filter, and the old oil was clean and had nothing to arouse suspicion.

Just hoping somebody has an idea what this might be, before I go tearing my new bike apart. Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello all. I purchased a beautifully taken care of 1994 FZR1000 two weeks ago. I am new to street bikes, but not new to motorcycles, I raced motocross for 15 years, and maintained all my bikes(full engine rebuilds and all).

On my way home from work today, I noticed a tapping noise coming from my new baby. It sounded like a valve severly out of adjustment, or something to that effect. When I got home, a mechanics stethiscope lead me to the rear of the engine. I could not identify the noise source perfectly, but it was loudest from the clutch cover. The tapping is not audible until about 3500rpm, is consistent with RPM, in any gear, with or without the clutch engaged.

The bike has 17K on it, and appears to never have been abused. I changed the oil 250 miles ago with Mobil 1 super syn and a mobil 1 m1 110 filter, and the old oil was clean and had nothing to arouse suspicion.

Just hoping somebody has an idea what this might be, before I go tearing my new bike apart. Thanks

If the Cam Chain is on the same side as the clutch it could be that you're hearing or simply the adjuster needs freeing to take up the slack, only thing I can think of that is likely to stay constant with the revs, had same suspect noise from TDM a while ago and turned out to be a sticky Cam Chain Adjuster. <_<

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online