Kick Start

Harv
This post is 5732 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Other than convenience of electric start, what are the pros and cons of the kick start ?. Is it as efficient for quick starts if all systems are proper ?.

Less parts ?. More cussing ?. etc. Thanks..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well electric starts dont kick u back when uve kicked it :P also kick starting can get tiring if the bike is not starting up, kick start can break ie snap just as an electric motor can malfunction or stop working (kick start is cheaper to replace i think). One huge advantage of the kick start though is that if your battery runs flat you can still start the bike up normally! :) hope this helps a bit!

Well electric starts dont kick u back when uve kicked it :P also kick starting can get tiring if the bike is not starting up, kick start can break ie snap just as an electric motor can malfunction or stop working (kick start is cheaper to replace i think). One huge advantage of the kick start though is that if your battery runs flat you can still start the bike up normally! :) hope this helps a bit!

Thanks for the reply skyline. I'm brand new at this motorcycle thing. I bought a nice 1977 Yamaha XS360 with kick start only. It will arrive the 18th hopefully. I'm a bit apprehensive about some things I'll have to get used to, compared to my 125cc scoot . I wasn't aware you could still start them if the battery was dead. Rely on the magneto then, huh. OK thanks again..

• 1 year later...

Electric start is convenient and all, but....kick start is too cool for school.

Plus, battery shmattery, who needs the damn thing fully charged when you've got a kick start, haha?

Of course, the down-side (and, there's always a down-side somewheres), if you stall out at a stop light, it sux big time to start fumbling with the shifter to find neutral, then jumping on the kick start like a mad man, with a line of impatient cars behind you.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online