03 YZF R6 question

R6mark
This post is 6135 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

does anyone have the silver and matt black version, if so just wondering what cleaning product etc you use on the matt black bits of fairing as i dont want to put something on to find out it has marked it ,

also i have noticed a tappety rattle when i rev the throttle, wondering if this is just a characteristic of the bike or i have something starting to go wrong, i only noticed it tonight whilst riding home, i usually wear ear plugs but didnt tonight, maybe its always done it but i havent heard it because of the lug plugs?

any info appreciated,

p.s this is my first bike and ive only had it a week, so be gentle with me :lol:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

does anyone have the silver and matt black version, if so just wondering what cleaning product etc you use on the matt black bits of fairing as i dont want to put something on to find out it has marked it ,

also i have noticed a tappety rattle when i rev the throttle, wondering if this is just a characteristic of the bike or i have something starting to go wrong, i only noticed it tonight whilst riding home, i usually wear ear plugs but didnt tonight, maybe its always done it but i havent heard it because of the lug plugs?

any info appreciated,

p.s this is my first bike and ive only had it a week, so be gentle with me :lol:

Hi Mark,

I have the same model & Year R6. I use a purpose spray on / wipe off, polish from J&S for sports bikes. but just google motorbike fairing polish and youll find the same / equivalent stuff. don't forget to get some chain lube also!

about the rattle. short answer is Im not sure, there are several different noises that the bike makes depending on what its doing. Mine makes a bit of a rattle with the clutch out in neutral! it also giggles when decelerating gently. Its probably nothing but just check the chain is correctly tightened and oiled. if the bike feels wrong or loose have a garage check it. can you compare it to another r6 at your local club?

best of luck

Jon

Hi Mark,

I have the same model & Year R6. I use a purpose spray on / wipe off, polish from J&S for sports bikes. but just google motorbike fairing polish and youll find the same / equivalent stuff. don't forget to get some chain lube also!

about the rattle. short answer is Im not sure, there are several different noises that the bike makes depending on what its doing. Mine makes a bit of a rattle with the clutch out in neutral! it also giggles when decelerating gently. Its probably nothing but just check the chain is correctly tightened and oiled. if the bike feels wrong or loose have a garage check it. can you compare it to another r6 at your local club?

best of luck

Jon

hello there Jon, thanks for the info, i found that Autoglym bumper care is a good product for the matt black, tried it on a discreet bit of the fairing yesterday and it seems ok, as for the noises i changed the oil and filter so will see if thats made any difference. I am not a member of any clubs as of yet so cant do any compairing.

hello there Jon, thanks for the info, i found that Autoglym bumper care is a good product for the matt black, tried it on a discreet bit of the fairing yesterday and it seems ok, as for the noises i changed the oil and filter so will see if thats made any difference. I am not a member of any clubs as of yet so cant do any compairing.

Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

03/04/05 R6's do have a common rattle from then, usual heard from top right hand side of engine.

mines rattles too! i dont mind that much though, especially with earplugs in you dont really notice it. doesnt seem to be affecting the bike tho. well.....fingers crossed about that one eh? :unsure:

any info appreciated,

r6 and r1 have had problems with the exup valves, and they will make a rattle noise, many have tore the engine down to the crank looking for a main or rod bearing problem, or a valve tapping a piston, but usually is not the problem, when the bike runs strong, it is probally the exup valve in the exhaust, this is a valve that opens/closes for proper back pressure, rattle will probally be noticed more a low rpms, or idle, while the valve is sopposed to be closed, anyways just put a pry bar on the exhaust where the 4 goes into one apply a little pressure and see if noise stops, if so its your exup valve. you do have oil in the bike right? you should not have any rattle noise on a bike this new. hope this helps you, rember push right lean right go right. now get out there and break some speed limits.

You,ll probably find the rattle is the Norm i wasn,t sure and took mine 3 times to have it checked with no probs at all. The Cam Chain Tensioner can wear and cause a rattle but this is a reasonably cheap job.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online