New Rider

This post is 6106 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys

New to forums and riding in general so bear with me, I've been riding since I was 8 on off road bikes (scramblers) but due to worrying mother have never been allowed to ride on the road, now that I'm finally not too busy due to uni I'va started learning on the Road. At the minute I have a Varadero 125, seems good but lacks poke.

Once I pass I have another year at uni and once I graduate (being able to move up to any cc) I'm thinking of getting a XT 660 R and it will mostly be used for commuting, weekend touring and riding up and down the motorway, I'm not bothered with the protection issues of riding a "non-faired" bike but was just concerned with speed issues due to it being single cylinder??? i.e. will I be able to sit comfortably at 90.....i mean :icon_wink: 70 for sustainable periods of time or would a different engine calibration be more suited.

Also the main reason for possible purchase of this bike is I'm hoping to ride around africa at some poihnt and from what I've read this is the bike for the job!!

Any help you guys could giveme would be awesome!

Cheers

Ash

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ash, I've just bought an xt660r for commuting a 60 mile round trip on A and B roads, and some that are smaller, and the bike is in it's element. At the moment, however, I am travelling from Wiltshire to North yorkshire (til I move) via the M1, M18, A1(M) etc and the bike doesn't like these roads as it's not what it's designed for (IMO). I travel at about 70-80mph on the motorways which is reasonable but I wouldn't fancy doing a sustained 90mph as both bike and rider will soon get tired. If you do a few motorway miles mixed in with A+B roads try a TDM900, good riding position, better weather protection and more grunt for 90mph+ riding.

Mind you, having said all that, the XT is a stonking bike...... :D

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys

New to forums and riding in general so bear with me, I've been riding since I was 8 on off road bikes (scramblers) but due to worrying mother have never been allowed to ride on the road, now that I'm finally not too busy due to uni I'va started learning on the Road. At the minute I have a Varadero 125, seems good but lacks poke.

Once I pass I have another year at uni and once I graduate (being able to move up to any cc) I'm thinking of getting a XT 660 R and it will mostly be used for commuting, weekend touring and riding up and down the motorway, I'm not bothered with the protection issues of riding a "non-faired" bike but was just concerned with speed issues due to it being single cylinder??? i.e. will I be able to sit comfortably at 90.....i mean :icon_wink: 70 for sustainable periods of time or would a different engine calibration be more suited.

Also the main reason for possible purchase of this bike is I'm hoping to ride around africa at some poihnt and from what I've read this is the bike for the job!!

Any help you guys could giveme would be awesome!

Cheers

Ash

ok the xt is a great bike for commuting, but its very slow only producing 37KW.....this becomes a problem if u want to lift.

u will be lucky to get 100mph if you are alone on the bike.....but again its reliable,light on fuel and the price is not that bad.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online