FZ6 running problems

Richie
This post is 6017 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Have owned a 2004 FZ6 faired since new. Have had a running problem, which I have taken back to the main dealer. He has reported back that there's nothing wrong with the bike. twelve months on the problem is still there.

The problem

The bike start fine, all power is on the bike when required. But! after about 20 minuets later, running the bike at 4000 rpm, at apprx 48 mph 3-4 gear, the bike starts to miss fire / seems to run on 3 cylinders, the bike will not idol and stalls. Leave the bike standing for the time it takes to drink a cuppa, the bikes ok, only for the next 20 minuets. I was out Wednesday for the weekly meet and I was told the bike was smoking a little when taken through the gears, again only when the fault is there.

Now getting a little upset, as I think the bike is such a good all rounder.

Can anyone help

Regards Richie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like a fueling problem - is there an issue with the fuel pump?

Probably a sensor fault on fuel pressure - have you checked out the fuel system?

Although that is a guess, assuming missing and not actually firing rather than a true mis-fire (true misfire usually HT leads, occasionally CDi ignition box, but the bike should still run badly all the time, not only after 20mins riding....)...

Go to www.foc-uk.co.uk great bunch of folks there, do a search and browse around, am sure you'll find the answer there.

Paul Mc (Polipoos on the FOC-U)

My Fazer is the same, but only in the cold.

It is a known problem where the heating pipes around the carbs fur up and no longer warms them up.

Mines starts fine in the morning, by the first set of traffic lights she is getting lumpy, then by the time I'm in work she cuts out and I'm coasting the last bit. Leave it for a bit and if she wont start, change the plugs and we're away.

The way round it is to change the freezing point of the petrol, add 200ml, per tank full of petrol of Silkolene Pro FST.

This will sort it out if it is that......

Found this tip last year on a Ducati forum as they suffer aswell

Forum link of same

• 4 months later...

My Fazer is the same, but only in the cold.

It is a known problem where the heating pipes around the carbs fur up and no longer warms them up.

Mines starts fine in the morning, by the first set of traffic lights she is getting lumpy, then by the time I'm in work she cuts out and I'm coasting the last bit. Leave it for a bit and if she wont start, change the plugs and we're away.

The way round it is to change the freezing point of the petrol, add 200ml, per tank full of petrol of Silkolene Pro FST.

This will sort it out if it is that......

Found this tip last year on a Ducati forum as they suffer aswell

Forum link of same

erm, hate 2 tell you this, but the 2004 fz6 is fuel injected :blink:

Have owned a 2004 FZ6 faired since new. Have had a running problem, which I have taken back to the main dealer. He has reported back that there's nothing wrong with the bike. twelve months on the problem is still there.

The problem

The bike start fine, all power is on the bike when required. But! after about 20 minuets later, running the bike at 4000 rpm, at apprx 48 mph 3-4 gear, the bike starts to miss fire / seems to run on 3 cylinders, the bike will not idol and stalls. Leave the bike standing for the time it takes to drink a cuppa, the bikes ok, only for the next 20 minuets. I was out Wednesday for the weekly meet and I was told the bike was smoking a little when taken through the gears, again only when the fault is there.Now getting a little upset, as I think the bike is such a good all rounder.

Can anyone help

Regards Richie

This points to a ignition fault. I think one cylinders not firing when hot giving a lumpy ride. It could be as simple as a spark plug or HT lead. When it starts to happen find out which exhaust pipe is the coolest as that is the one not firing.

Just had a thought. Can you see any bubbles in the coolant if you rev the engine? This would indicate a blown head gasket.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online