potential Fazer S2 owner

ujoni08
This post is 6197 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

Just registered... I'm interested in buying a new Fazer S2. Just wanted to get some info and opinions from owners of Fazers. I ride a Suzuki 2005 SV650S with fairing lowers and double bubble screen at the moment. I like the torque it produces and the light weight. It handles well and is narrow. The problem is the riding position with clip-ons is killing my back. Right between the shoulder blades (I have a herniated disc there anyway). Suzukis aren't known for build quality either, though it's garaged and well maintained, so it's mint. I want a bike with some wind protection and a relaxed riding position. The only one that looks right for me is the Fazer at the moment. I'd want to fit the touring screen. I realise I'll have to rev it more to get the power, and that's fine. I'm interested in getting heated grips and the little extra fairing bits fitted for hand protection, plus a Scottoiler.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone,

Just registered... I'm interested in buying a new Fazer S2. Just wanted to get some info and opinions from owners of Fazers. I ride a Suzuki 2005 SV650S with fairing lowers and double bubble screen at the moment. I like the torque it produces and the light weight. It handles well and is narrow. The problem is the riding position with clip-ons is killing my back. Right between the shoulder blades (I have a herniated disc there anyway). Suzukis aren't known for build quality either, though it's garaged and well maintained, so it's mint. I want a bike with some wind protection and a relaxed riding position. The only one that looks right for me is the Fazer at the moment. I'd want to fit the touring screen. I realise I'll have to rev it more to get the power, and that's fine. I'm interested in getting heated grips and the little extra fairing bits fitted for hand protection, plus a Scottoiler.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Hello and welcome

I have 2007 fazer and a bad back,Over the week end ride out we covered 350 miles around wales with no problems with the back or bike. The half fairing on the bike keeps the worst of you

Best Regards,

Thanks, MJR. Yes, I sat on one in George White in Swindon. The position is much better for me. There's less stretch to the bars, and then the cast riser clamps from the top yoke plus the riser bars. They don't have a demonstrator, so I couldn't ride one, but it gets a good write up in a recent MCN test. PROBLEM: they can't get a blue one before June! Aargh! I'm going to look around for one. Has anyone seen one in a dealer in the Cheltenham/Gloucester/Swindon/Bristol/Oxford area?

PS what accessories do people recommend? I'm keen on a touring screen, heated grips, hand fairing inserts and a Scottoiler.

Thanks,

Jon.

Thanks, MJR. Yes, I sat on one in George White in Swindon. The position is much better for me. There's less stretch to the bars, and then the cast riser clamps from the top yoke plus the riser bars. They don't have a demonstrator, so I couldn't ride one, but it gets a good write up in a recent MCN test. PROBLEM: they can't get a blue one before June! Aargh! I'm going to look around for one. Has anyone seen one in a dealer in the Cheltenham/Gloucester/Swindon/Bristol/Oxford area?

PS what accessories do people recommend? I'm keen on a touring screen, heated grips, hand fairing inserts and a Scottoiler.

Thanks,

Jon.

Jon

Give south wales super bikes a call not to far from bristol, I know they have a blue demonstrator. Its up to you for the accessories, But don't put to much on it as you may spoil it

Thanks,

Jon.

I've recently put Oxford heated grips on my bike and they're great, wouldn't be without them now,

Cheers

Tango2

I rode over to South Wales Superbikes and they only have a red one with ABS. Blue ones are as scarce as hen's teeth. Yamaha didn't supply many Fazer S2s to the UK this year because the 2006 Fazer didn't sell well.

Will phone further afield.

Jon.

I found the last blue Fazer 600 S2 in Britain, right here in Cheltenham today and bought it on the spot! Woohoo! I can't sleep. Picking it up on Tuesday, after they PDI it and fit the fairing add-ons (knuckle visors in Yamaha's terms), touring screen and Scottoiler dual injector. Got a good price for my SV650S too. Glad to be back on a Yam!

Jon.

I found the last blue Fazer 600 S2 in Britain, right here in Cheltenham today and bought it on the spot! Woohoo! I can't sleep. Picking it up on Tuesday, after they PDI it and fit the fairing add-ons (knuckle visors in Yamaha's terms), touring screen and Scottoiler dual injector. Got a good price for my SV650S too. Glad to be back on a Yam!

Jon.

It is not the last blue one there is one in *****, as yet unsold. It is the only one unsold as I can find, of any colour or type. I have been around everywhere looking for a black one, I have never seen one or know of anyone who has imported one. Most dealers do not yet have the S2, they are still trying to sell last years stock of S1's. I have been told, by more than one dealer that the Fazer 600 S2 is sold out FOR THE YEAR! :blink: I was warned that it might be July before I could get one, but now it seems as if there are no bikes left, this is stupid. Can you imagine what would happen if you went into a Ford dealer and told that you could not have a new focus. Why is it us motorcyclists are treated like rubbish?

And the reason given for this shortage? A delibrate attempt by yamaha to keep resale prices high, and to prevent parallel imports. I cant think of any better way other than restricting official imports to place mistrust in a brand reducing resale prices, and promoting unofficial parallel imports.

The S1 fails to fit the bill as a replacement for the original FZS, the digital rev counter and dropping the 4pot brakes were the bad marketing ideas that let the bike down (still uncertain about underseat pipes, but the idea is growing on me) so why are we being made to wait for their mistakes? The S1 is still being sold this year as a low power variant, so they can still sell last years S1 as a S1 with a more powerful engine, it is not competing with the S2. I can see the S2 being a big seller, the owners of the original FZS faser will be itching for new bikes, as theirs age, just like mine. 6 years old and 40000 miles on small things are beginning to wrong with it, headlamp bulb, sprocket carrier bearing, exhaust downpipes, are all things I replaced in the last year. But how picky is that complaining a headlamp bulb blown! But seriuos thats how good the last bike is other than rear brake sticking I have had no other faults with the bike in all that time. Only a Yamaha will do again for me, now I cant find a black one, so I might just have to buy that one blue one and a tin of matt black paint :lol:

Haldir, if you're quick, there's a black non-ABS one at George White in Swindon, and a red ABS one at South Wales Superbikes in Newport.

Good luck mate,

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

After doing a lot of investigating amongst as many dealers I could get to I have come to the following conclusion about the availablity of Fazer S2's:

Demonstrators: very rare, though I did find one at SMC sheffield

Red bikes: rare, any are likely sold, but they tend to have them on pre order so any wait would be short.

blue bikes: very rare, though not selling as well as red, so there is the odd one available, with some on pre order.

black: virtually none, and only ordered specially and the next date for order is August,

ABS: does not matter what colour you will not see one until August at the earliest.

The lack of demonstrators will be a problem for sales, as there are no second hand bikes, and a lot of people like to have a ride before they buy. When dealers say they have a choice of colours, they mean they have a blue bike and a red bike on order, or maybe vice-versa.

Since I wanted a new bike for June, and that does not look possible ( I started looking in February!) I have been busy sorting and sevicing my old Fazer, and you know what it looks quite nice now after I partially stripped and cleaned it! I think I will give it a new filter and oil, lube the joints and cables, and run it for the rest of the year. It would have clocked 50000 miles by then, and would be needing its valve clearences checked again, I wonder if it will need adjusting? It still has the original shims from manufacture at the moment.

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. Yamaha has messed up the ordering pretty badly this year, and they'll lose customers to other brands. Glad to hear your Fazer is still running okay with a high mileage.

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here and I am planning to import a FZ1 here in India.

I would really appreciate if someone can give me pointers on how is the ride quality of a FZ1 over not so super smooth roads as you guys enjoy it on.

Also about the riding position for touring, how comfortable is it to travel 500+ miles in a day.

For me it is a big jump from a 180cc motorcycle that I currently own and evrything that FZ1 has to offer will be heaven for me, but for a long term perespective the experienced riders here can share their experience with me.

I have rode a R1 and 10R and have found them both to be uncomfortable for long periods with a lot of stress on the back.

Thanks

Eric

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online