Hey everyone

Kevvo
This post is 6182 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I'm Kev, I'm 17, and I own a lovely little YBR125. I've been riding on the road for a little over a year now, and now that I am 17, I will be taking my full test soon. I was wondering what you would all recommend for my next bike. It has to be 400cc or less unfortunately, but hey its better than nothing. I would love to get antoher Yamaha because I just love mine so much, so reliable, never given me any hassle. But there just isn't much choice for 250cc or 400cc bikes where I live (Isle of Wight) and I preferably want a 4 stroke road bike. Any comments will be greatly appreciated :).

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I looked your bike up because I never heard of it, just to realize it's a British Yamaha. So out of curiosity I found my bike on the UK Yamaha page (I have a V Star Classic 650, which from what I can gather is called the Roadstar Classic in the UK), and its 5500 pounds?! Wow! That's about double what I paid for mine. Why are bikes so expensive over there?

And to be sure, it's exactly the same bike, the specs listed are the same (650 cc engine, air cooled SOHC, etc etc)

I know I'm not helping you out at all :) Over here Yamaha only makes one bike that is under 400cc, the Virago. Which doesn't look like you guys have over there. Sorry :)

Hey man, im jacob. I'm 16 and know exactly how you feel! Ive been riding on the road 4 about a year also. Im a huge fan of small bikes. If you want to go yamaha, check out the ysr 50! It sounds small I know and it is, but it is so powerful! I have 2, one has a yamaha yz 80 engine in it and goes right about 80 MPH!! I dont know if you like small bikes but you forget how small these are when youre riding one!!

• 1 month later...

Blimey skidd, you've got a lot of bikes :D. Well I do like small bikes, but i'm fed up of the lack of power. My YBR is about 10.3hp or something like that, and it pulls fine up to about 50mph, but over that its as sluggish as, well, a slug. Overtaking on roads where the speed limit is over 50 is dodgy, as it takes so long to pass, and i'm the opposite lane too long for comfort. I want a quick bike, but not so quick that I will do stupid speeds on it.

And Torgo, yes there are Viragos over here, my mum has got a Virago 250, she says that she might give it to me when i've taken my full test, as she doesn't ride it anymore (wimp). But even though it will be nice to ride a cruiser, that one is only 17hp, and that isnt much more than mine already, and it weighs quite a lot more. So even that I won't be too happy on.

I have been thinking though, if i take my mums bike, and save up to get a Kawasaki KR1-S or Suzuki RGV 250, and restrict the pokey one to 33hp (has to be done by law till the 2 year restriction period is over) then maybe I'll have best of both worlds or something.

Ultimately I want a reliable 33hp comfortable ride, but here there isn't much choice. Literally there are about 5 bike dealers on the island, and most of them only deal with big bikes. If i want to go to a decent dealership, I have to take the ferry to the mainland, and the islands ferrys are mile for mile, THE most expensive ferrys in the world apparently. And then ride all the way to somewhere i've never even ridden, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not used to mainland roads, I'm used to little country lanes, meandering through the countryside etc.

Well thanks a lot for your'e opinions anyway :D

Kev

Blimey skidd, you've got a lot of bikes :D. Well I do like small bikes, but i'm fed up of the lack of power. My YBR is about 10.3hp or something like that, and it pulls fine up to about 50mph, but over that its as sluggish as, well, a slug. Overtaking on roads where the speed limit is over 50 is dodgy, as it takes so long to pass, and i'm the opposite lane too long for comfort. I want a quick bike, but not so quick that I will do stupid speeds on it.

And Torgo, yes there are Viragos over here, my mum has got a Virago 250, she says that she might give it to me when i've taken my full test, as she doesn't ride it anymore (wimp). But even though it will be nice to ride a cruiser, that one is only 17hp, and that isnt much more than mine already, and it weighs quite a lot more. So even that I won't be too happy on.

I have been thinking though, if i take my mums bike, and save up to get a Kawasaki KR1-S or Suzuki RGV 250, and restrict the pokey one to 33hp (has to be done by law till the 2 year restriction period is over) then maybe I'll have best of both worlds or something.

Ultimately I want a reliable 33hp comfortable ride, but here there isn't much choice. Literally there are about 5 bike dealers on the island, and most of them only deal with big bikes. If i want to go to a decent dealership, I have to take the ferry to the mainland, and the islands ferrys are mile for mile, THE most expensive ferrys in the world apparently. And then ride all the way to somewhere i've never even ridden, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not used to mainland roads, I'm used to little country lanes, meandering through the countryside etc.

Well thanks a lot for your'e opinions anyway :D

Kev

Hi kev i deal with guys from your neck of the woods all the time you can buy any bike you want as long as you fit a restrictor kit to it about £150 most people tend to buy fazers or even the odd R6 with a kit fitted on.

regards stuart

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online