Brake trouble

frylock
This post is 6230 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just rebult my front brake caliper on one of my dirtbikes and now the brake wont work.I put in new brake fluid and everything but it wont work for some reason.I was told that I have to bleed the caliper to get the air out of the lines but I dont know much about disk brakes so i dont know how to bleed them.Is bleeding the caliper what im supposed to do?If so how do I bleed it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just rebult my front brake caliper on one of my dirtbikes and now the brake wont work.I put in new brake fluid and everything but it wont work for some reason.I was told that I have to bleed the caliper to get the air out of the lines but I dont know much about disk brakes so i dont know how to bleed them.Is bleeding the caliper what im supposed to do?If so how do I bleed it?

Just do a search on bleeding brakes, there are plenty of ideas on here as to what is the best.

I looked for information before I posted this topic.I was able to find a website that said how to do it but I did what it said and the brake still wont work.Im wondering if the fact that im using dot 3 brake fluid instead of dot 4 would have something to do with my brakes not working,I was told that dot 3 was ok to use though.

DOT 3 should be fine. What you'll need to do is get a length of tube and put it over the bleed nipple on the caliper. Fill up the fluid reservoir and then you can go about bleeding the brake. To bleed it you will need to loosen off the bleed nipple, pull in the brake lever fully and retighten the nipple. You will need to do this a number of times until there is just pure fluid flowing through the tube with no bubbles. The braking action should be much improved afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

DOT 3 should be fine. What you'll need to do is get a length of tube and put it over the bleed nipple on the caliper. Fill up the fluid reservoir and then you can go about bleeding the brake. To bleed it you will need to loosen off the bleed nipple, pull in the brake lever fully and retighten the nipple. You will need to do this a number of times until there is just pure fluid flowing through the tube with no bubbles. The braking action should be much improved afterwards.

Thanks for the help.I got the brakes working now.Turned out the front brake master cylinder was no good so I replaced it and I rebuilt the rear brake caliper and the pump was frozen on the rear brake master cylinder so I got it to free up.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online