Forks are the Pits

slaphead
This post is 6466 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello out there!

I have just finished stripping the forks down on my Genesis and found the chrome to be slightly pitted, If I fit new seals they will only last for a couple of months before leaking again. Can anyone recommend a good machine shop to grind, plate and refinish the tubes, I don't really want to fit pattern parts and an original parts purchase could possibly end in a domestic!! Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello out there!

I have just finished stripping the forks down on my Genesis and found the chrome to be slightly pitted, If I fit new seals they will only last for a couple of months before leaking again. Can anyone recommend a good machine shop to grind, plate and refinish the tubes, I don't really want to fit pattern parts and an original parts purchase could possibly end in a domestic!! Thanks.

Don't bother refinishing the forks, give ABE (All Bike Engineering) a shout and get some repalacement ones.

It's never worth the hassle re chroming unless it's some old classic thing which it's impossible to get replacement ones for.

Don't bother refinishing the forks, give ABE (All Bike Engineering) a shout and get some repalacement ones.

It's never worth the hassle re chroming unless it's some old classic thing which it's impossible to get replacement ones for.

Completely agree with this. In order for the forks to be re chromed everything has to stripped down to bear metal. It then has to be cleaned and then you can think about dipping it. Very expensive process so may aswell have new forks that you know will last some amount of time.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online