carb/fuel delivery problem 86 FZ 600

vintagephil
This post is 5391 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought a 1986 Yamaha FZ-600. They guy told me the carbs needed to be cleanned (not rebuilt) because he forgot to drain the carbs & gas last winter & it would leak gas (he said he thought 1 or 2 of the floats were sticking). I got it home and ran it started, and ran very well, but a little rough/boggy at very low throttle openings (1/8-1/4 throtle), but did NOT leak any gas......then it died a couple of times like it ran out of gas (but had plenty of gas), now it starts and runs very well but won't idle.....(and still does not leak any gas) should I clean the carbs anyway? What should I look for?? If it runs great at 1/4-to full throttle openning, is it a problem with the idle/starting circuit in the carbs?? :unsure:

Phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Typical symptoms of a bike that has sat over the winter with No use. :rolleyes:

Cleaning those carbs will give you some Peace of Mind ;)

Money on it that your Pilot Jets are clogged which is the reason for the rough running around idle.

To do this properly, you'll also need to synch those carbs after you get them back in the bike.....

Required for that: Vacuum guages or a set of Carb Stix

BTW.... :welcome: to the forum.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a 1986 Yamaha FZ-600. They guy told me the carbs needed to be cleanned (not rebuilt) because he forgot to drain the carbs & gas last winter & it would leak gas (he said he thought 1 or 2 of the floats were sticking). I got it home and ran it started, and ran very well, but a little rough/boggy at very low throttle openings (1/8-1/4 throtle), but did NOT leak any gas......then it died a couple of times like it ran out of gas (but had plenty of gas), now it starts and runs very well but won't idle.....(and still does not leak any gas) should I clean the carbs anyway? What should I look for?? If it runs great at 1/4-to full throttle openning, is it a problem with the idle/starting circuit in the carbs?? :unsure:

Phil

Phil,

Sounds like the problem ive been having with my 87' FRZ 1000, during a recent top end rebuild the carbs were turned upside down, A comprehansive clen of the float chamber and jets will do wonders, also replace the fule filter and flush the fuel tank. I found also clening the fuel rail was a big help

Good Luck

Alex.

• 2 years later...

mine does the same things!!! i got an '88 fz600 and it will idle rough and rev then stay revving up at 3,000 then shoot right down to 900-1100RPM and just sit - is that what you mean by boggy?

mine leaks gas too, out of the overflow tubes, like the float valves are not working, but i have disassembled the carbs several times and the flat valves seem fine. I went riding today actually because i thought it was running ok in the driveway for once, idled good after i put in the new pilot jets and revved right up, quarter mile down the road it stalled out like it was outta gas but i had a half tank, and the fuel filter was filled and downward too so gravity wasn't the issue.

I have to say i would have enjoyed the walk home had i not had to drag my bulky biotch with me, and why the hell do drivers feel the need to honk at a guy in my situation? it really does not help!

vintagephil check your idle jets as what you're describing is classic blocked idle jets & airways.

junker check your ignition switch coz i had the same thing & after a 5 mile push 2 a regular tea stall i go to (high beech) a friend told me about the ignition switches on these models & for some reason the backs tend to work loose giving a intermittent electrical supply. tighten the screws on the back of it or replace the switch will solve the problem.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online