Yamaha TDM850 Exhaust Backfire

afanboy
This post is 6507 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have recently bought a Yamaha TDM850 (2001 model) with a micron aftermarket exhaust fitted, my problem is that it at times of full throttle it backfires. I have recently had a full service at a main dealer who informed me that it is quite common with this model of bike!! I am still slightly concerned as I am getting mixed messages..

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My standard exhaust TRXie only backfires when I snap the throttle shut from high speed on an empty tank with the carbs running dry - i.e. when there is incipient fuel starvation. My old Honda XBR was a holy terror for backfiring on overrun thru the same cause. Useful for scaring away tailgaters, though.

If you have fitted an aftermarket zorst, check the carburation in case you are running lean. My TRXie runs rich in any case, cos I'm to lazy to clean the air filter often enough.