Yamaha XT 600 3TB

bernek
This post is 2544 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys !

I've introduced myself and my bike in the new members zone and I think this is the right place to continue the discussion regarding the restoration that I'm planning to do on my bike.

It's an XT 600E 3TB from 1994 with electric start. The bike is at a service shop for first maintenance and repairs since I got it but I plan on doing future maintenance and almost all repairs at home in the future. (I didn't want to mess up something with the brakes for example and have a small accident because of that and I preferred someone with deeper knowledge about four stroke engines to have a look at it first).

There are a few important things to fix and replace including:

- uni-sens bearing (will be replaced I can't start the bike at the moment)

- carburetors are leaking (just found out today) I think its the pontou needle not closing (will be fixed or I will have to fix it myself).

- there might be a timing issue (some misfires at low to mid rpm) or an overly rich condition that I suspect is because of a too high level of fuel in the carburetors. Will have to adjust/fix.

There are a lot of smaller parts that need replacement also but I don't think its important to enumerate them here. (most are cosmetic parts).

Regarding this uni-sens bearing I'm not sure what to do ... buy a new one or get a second hand replacement. It is very expensive (for me) and it will take a big chunk out of my budget. I have some other things to change also including tires that wont be cheap. The bearing only arrives in 3-4 weeks and the price is 160 eur; a second hand one would cost me a merely 50 eur and is available in 2-3 days.

Like I've stated in my first thread I want to make it work as it should first then move on to cosmetic part.

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome mate. Good luck with the resto

I may add that we like pictures, lots of pictures

• Like 1

Do you guys can recommend me a good aftermarket exhaust for this bike ? I don't have the stock silencer and I don't want to buy a stock one (used) since they aren't in good condition. I need a cheap and good one that can pass technical inspection for road worthy.

Regarding more pics I promise to upload more when I will be able to get some. The bike will be at the service shop for 1-2 weeks and it's already killing me. I never ridden it :)

I saw it running then the bearing cracked and we never started it anymore ... brought it to my home city and straight to a mechanic.

I have a few questions if you want to help and respond please do:

1. should I use any fuel additives ? (to clean carbs / deposits and so on) - I will run premium fuel 98 octane

2. where can I find a detailed adjustment of the carburetors ?

3. the fuel tank might have some rust inside/outside ... is this a viable solution: http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

4. what are the recommended plug heat rating for not a spirited driver ? (I will start slow with it since its quite heavy for me and I'm only used to way lighter 2 strokes)

5. I've read some myths about the 5th gear problems ?

6. what is a modern recommended oil for this engine ?

Thank you !

For oil i use 10/40 semi synthetic motorcycle oil, If your 5th gear works why worry about 5th gear problems? Leave your plug standard. As for cleaning the carb you are better off just taking it off and cleaning it. It may be a good idea to look at the mikuni carburetor manual pdf online. It doesn't focus on your particular carb but it should give you an understanding of how a carb works.

If you intend to do your own repairs and restauration the best money that you will spend is to buy a haynes manual for your bike. Haynes manuals are sometimes less detailed than the official yamaha workshop manuals but they are designed for the home mechanic, are well illustrated and will have all of the information that you need in regard to your bikes specifications.

If you want to buy tank sealer , i would buy it in europe. The postage costs from the states can be quite high and it depends on what you are buying and it's value but there maybe a possibility that you will be stung for VAT and import duty .

• Like 1

I bet there is a little gauze filter element inside the carb, there is on my TT600 which has a similar carb dual carb fitted? Its on the float valve seat, heres how I found mine with collection of fibres covering it, my bike has a fibre petrol tank not a steel one

102_2692_zps5d2174d0.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hug said:

For oil i use 10/40 semi synthetic motorcycle oil, If your 5th gear works why worry about 5th gear problems? Leave your plug standard. As for cleaning the carb you are better off just taking it off and cleaning it. It may be a good idea to look at the mikuni carburetor manual pdf online. It doesn't focus on your particular carb but it should give you an understanding of how a carb works.

If you intend to do your own repairs and restauration the best money that you will spend is to buy a haynes manual for your bike. Haynes manuals are sometimes less detailed than the official yamaha workshop manuals but they are designed for the home mechanic, are well illustrated and will have all of the information that you need in regard to your bikes specifications.

If you want to buy tank sealer , i would buy it in europe. The postage costs from the states can be quite high and it depends on what you are buying and it's value but there maybe a possibility that you will be stung for VAT and import duty .

I will do the same with a good brand 10w40 oil then ! I don't know if the 5th gear works since I haven't ridden the bike at all yet. The carbs will be cleaned at the service shop I'm pretty sure but I worked on a few Dellortho's and Polini's for 2T engines. So jetting a carburetor is not a big issue for me :)

I will look for Haynes manual since I only have the yamaha workshop manual for my bike and its very big and with no illustrations (that can be really helpful !).

I will look for a sealer in Europe of course maybe in a country close to mine ! 

Since you are from France can share you share some links with some good stores for new parts in EU ? (you can PM the links if you like).

Thanks !

14 minutes ago, Airhead said:

I bet there is a little gauze filter element inside the carb, there is on my TT600 which has a similar carb dual carb fitted? Its on the float valve seat, heres how I found mine with collection of fibres covering it, my bike has a fibre petrol tank not a steel one

102_2692_zps5d2174d0.jpg

I have a metal fuel tank but on my Aprilia RX I have a fibre petrol tank but didn't experience anything like this (its from 1998).

Will definately take my time and clean everything I can when I get the bike. Time is passing so slowly for me and who said "time is relative" was 100% correct !

15 minutes ago, Airhead said:

I know your tank is steel, I was just pointing out this filter because the carbs are similar if not the same...there may still be crud and rust on yours?

Pretty sure that my old xt had the same filter set up (hidden away in the float valve?) as your TT airhead. A magnetic blackspot for any crud in the tank....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Airhead said:

I know your tank is steel, I was just pointing out this filter because the carbs are similar if not the same...there may still be crud and rust on yours?

It has some spots but not sure where is it inside or outside. Will have to check when I get the bike back !

I could mount an additional inline filter between fuel tank and carburetor just to be sure ? I don't think I will be restricting fuel flow.

1 hour ago, hug said:

Pretty sure that my old xt had the same filter set up (hidden away in the float valve?) as your TT airhead. A magnetic blackspot for any crud in the tank....

What is crud exactly ? Are you referring to rust or to some debris ?

Is the one way bearing from the e-start prone to failure on these models ? or I'm just unlucky with this mine. Any chances I can find an equivalent in car parts store ? or it has to be Yamaha made and I need to wait close to a month to get it ?

I've seen chinese clones that are really cheap but I wouldn't use it since it may fail sooner ... I've seen some on ebay (original ones) that are even more expensive that original parts (or maybe the shipping and handling pushes the price higher). 

If this bearing is just a isolated failure I could buy another engine for that money and have it for even more spare parts. 

Here is a link with the chinese one:

https://www.amazon.com/AHL-Starter-Clutch-Bearing-1990-2002/dp/B017R5IA8O

Erm? Yeah.. sooner fit a kickstart myself than that piece of 'quality' chineese engineering.

Shot answer, you need to get it off and see whats up.

After some looking around, it shares some parts with the hondas wierdly. Its also much in demand. I have seen mention of it being the same part in the 660 raptor. Unconfirmed though.

Can, IF the parts are in good general condition and its the type with the external spring be fixed with a replacement spring. From a comparable sized seal.

Otherwise its the kicker.  

4 hours ago, Cynic said:

Erm? Yeah.. sooner fit a kickstart myself than that piece of 'quality' chineese engineering.

Shot answer, you need to get it off and see whats up.

After some looking around, it shares some parts with the hondas wierdly. Its also much in demand. I have seen mention of it being the same part in the 660 raptor. Unconfirmed though.

Can, IF the parts are in good general condition and its the type with the external spring be fixed with a replacement spring. From a comparable sized seal.

Otherwise its the kicker.  

I was honestly awaiting this answer :) but I feel a little better that I've asked !

Either I find it second hand but it good condition or the bike will go kickstart :D

Spent a lot of time looking for a bearing (used) couldn't find any ... All the vehicles that are sold for parts have this bearing missing (sold). 

The bearing new is around 200 EUR and I have quite of others things to fix also. Will try a conversion to a kick-start (with used parts) and hope it will be fine ! 

We still need to find what caused the failure to this bearing. No words yet from the service shop yet where I've "abandoned" the bike. I hope next week to receive some information.

It's quite annoying not to be able to drive it at least once to see the difference from a 125 cc 2 stroke :D I hope the wait will be worth it :P

Do you guys think I should try to find a decompressor cable to be able to use that along with the kick-start ? I'm 1.7m 80kg and I hope I will be able to kick it ...

6 minutes ago, Airhead said:

Great price ! I might get it from them :) but I see two parts with same code. I may sound a bit stupid but I don't know which one is the bearing itself...

Thanks !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online