I'm on fire!!!!! Question for 06 R1

Snowdog
This post is 6486 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

How's it going? I'm new to the club and just have a question for anyone out there with a 06 R1 (04-06). I just got a new 06 and with 250miles and a trackday so far. My question is What the hell was yamaha thinking not putting on a heat sheld. My ass is so Hot. I wish I had done some more reading up on the bike before the purchase If I knew this first I may have gone another way. I owned before this a new 03 R1 and on the day I hit 17,000 miles on it I laid it down. Insurance did what insurance does and took the bike. Anyways back to the new bike so far I'm happy with the bike with the handling but not so much with the throtlle response or the lack of power in the low rpm. The old bike was so smooth, I could hold the throttle in one spot all day and not increase speed unexpectedly with this one its on then off on then off in a corner the choppy ness is enoff where it upsets the bike. So much for the roll on wheeles in 1st gear old bike 4000rpm new bike somewhere over 7500rpm I think. We'll if anyone know of a company that makes a heat sheild let me know. Thanks sorry about the spelling I suck at spelling...lol

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How's it going? I'm new to the club and just have a question for anyone out there with a 06 R1 (04-06). I just got a new 06 and with 250miles and a trackday so far. My question is What the hell was yamaha thinking not putting on a heat sheld. My ass is so Hot. I wish I had done some more reading up on the bike before the purchase If I knew this first I may have gone another way. I owned before this a new 03 R1 and on the day I hit 17,000 miles on it I laid it down. Insurance did what insurance does and took the bike. Anyways back to the new bike so far I'm happy with the bike with the handling but not so much with the throtlle response or the lack of power in the low rpm. The old bike was so smooth, I could hold the throttle in one spot all day and not increase speed unexpectedly with this one its on then off on then off in a corner the choppy ness is enoff where it upsets the bike. So much for the roll on wheeles in 1st gear old bike 4000rpm new bike somewhere over 7500rpm I think. We'll if anyone know of a company that makes a heat sheild let me know. Thanks sorry about the spelling I suck at spelling...lol

i have a 06 r1, i noticed the same problem. with the heat problem. you can get a y piece that has not got a cat converter in it,.(as this is where all of the heat is comming from).the convert gets to aroung 500 to 650 deg c., or a cheeper opition is to smash the cat out, or wrap it with heat shielding tape. (tape looks shit )the heat problem is a lot, lot better after doing this.

With the power problem . the bike is geared very high. i fitted a 16 tooth front sprocket ($75.00)and now it is a rocket. power wheelies 1st around 4ish and will now power wheel 2nd and clutch up in 3rd. it is now a differant bike. bike will still do 300 kph and fuel did not suffer too much. had to fit a speedo healer($110.00) as the speed was out 15 kph or so(speeding ticket). all good now hope this helps.