Little help from the Brit fans, looking for a triumph.

Cynic
This post is 2785 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yep, not for me though. I'm looking for a bike for my dad he is not web savvy so I'm doing the looking.

My dad has an itch that needs scratching. He has always talked about the triumph sport cub, SPECIFICALLY the sport cub not the tiger cub. A T20SH in anorak, ideally around 63/64.

Or, option 2 is a Triumph 350 or 500 speed twin. Ideally around 64 when they stopped fitting the fairing around the rear of the bike. Maybe a mid season one but not the early.

He is def not looking for sheds either, all he wants to do is ride it on a blue moon and polish it after, so mint or near as.

If anybody has any tips or leads in the triumph world if you could let me know.

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

was the fairing around the back of the bike called a bathtub?

usually find mint ones in the adverts as most peeps know what they are worth

Cynic, my neighbour has a 750 sat in his garage, is that to big? It really needs very little in the way of fettling but has stood for the last 4/5 years in his garage and he, to my knowledge, has not started it for at least the last year, he takes it down for an MOT and then shoves it back in the garage. If you might be interested let me know and I will get you more details.

Yeah "bathtub" Drewpy think it was on the 350 and 500s tigers.

Its difficult  to describe Drewps, to modern eyes it serves little bar being a bit odd, its not a fairing in the aero sense, more stop the wife moaning about getting covered in crap from the rear wheel.

Thanks slice but my dad is perfectly happy to pay proper money for a good bike, he is over 70 with a creaky back from years of being a mechanic so realistically the last thing he wants now is oily hands. Also it needs to be a Sport Cub ( only difference I can see is headlight and mudguards but it matters to him) circa 63/64 or a speed twin from 64 on. thinking about it he would have been around 17 then so its the same thing as my TDR and I can understand the feeling behind it.

Tax mot and matching numbers in vgc he will be happy to pay for. If there are any 'ifs' he will walk away. Someone taking his intruder (750) 88 vintage will really make any deals a lot more certain.

Ok mate no probs, by the way it's a 1977 T140 in near mint condition. Same year as the Triumph Silver Jubilee.

He has asked me to look for him, (got a horrible feeling its a bucket list but hey he isn't saying anything) and it would be nice having him back on a bike he can ride a worthwhile distance, esp as we never seem to get the time to ride together.

He used to be too busy, then I was too cool to be riding with 'dad' (we have all been there right), and now i'm too busy. Decorating, kids, house, overtime, good job we live in a free country eh. Sometime wonder just HOW free.

• Like 1

Yea, on the larger bikes 350, 500 and 650s, they were called bathtubs. Not a great success at the time and most were junked, subsequently they now go for funny money. Likewise a Sports cub or mountain cub. A lot of 'no interest in bikes, but it's an investment' type of folk have jumped onto the Classic market, hence the price of auld bikes (including classic jap bikes) has rocketed. Around 5-10 yrs ago you could have picked up a Tiger cub for around £300-500 now your talking £1k for a rough one

Another thing is the year. 1964. Two years ago I was turning 50 and as a gift to myself I wanted a bike registered on my birthday 21/04/64. I had planned ahead and spent about 2 years before this date looking for one with no success, but I also noticed that there weren't too many 64 (B Reg) bikes generally

If you head over to Britbikes forum you'll get a load more info and help

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=4&page=1

• Like 1

Thx jimmy i will read and absorb.

Nope, needs to be a 3TA or a 5TA, or a T20SH different animals, apparently? difficult for a non brit fan to tell if I'm honest. I'm getting there though.

There were a number of 500s going around. The same engine just a different level of tuning (it's all relative).

The T100 is a 500 Tiger ( in various guises T100A, T100SS, T100) Those models went from 1960 - 1966 Other T100 models from 1966 - 1972

The 5Ta replaced the 5TSpeedtwin in 1959 and this was the first year of the Unit Engine (prior to that there was a separate engine and gearbox) The 5Ta lasted until 1966

The 3Ta (350) went from 1957 - 1966

The T90 was a 350 Tiger, basically a tuned version of the 3Ta and ran from 63 - 66

The 5Ta and 3Ta are probably the least expensive of the above model, but you'll still pay between £2.5k and £5k depending on condition. One problem is folk spend £ks restoring these bikes and then look to recoup all their money back...as we all know it doesn't work like that

Some folk believe the 500 Triumph twin was the best of all their engines as it was less stressed so more reliable. The 650 and 750 models were basically just rebored 500s so had more stresses on the engine

My 59 5Ta should have the bathtub and nacelle (headlamp cowling) but as I say these were junked back in the day so it is in the style of a T100

When I bought it

011.jpg

Now

004_zpszicl3ayn.jpg

Thanks that helps a lot. My head is spinning with all these bikes that are basically the same bloody bike.

Like i said its my dad im looking for so he gets the say so and he definately wants a bike circa 64 speed twin or a sport cub. Although i know he is not a big fan of the tub.

Sorry slice didnt know a speed twin was also a T100. 

S'all right mate your going to have your work cut out finding a good one that has what you need anyway cos as Jimmy say's the bloody things have been knocking about for 50+ years and everyone and his dog has fiddled with them till they look a right old state, best advice I can give is find the one you like, regardless of condition, then buy it, your Dad is going to fiddle with it anyway so as long as it runs and rides ok and has an MOT and a wodge of bills and paperwork buy it and your jobs done. Plus as Jimmy said the sellers all bought them as an "INVESTMENT" (tossers) and if you want to make money on bikes that's never the way to do it.

Heres a 5Ta with the bathtub and Nacelle

. b9abbb22-dfe2-4f82-955e-fe2fd7007cef_zps

And just to muddy the waters, what about this beauty, early 70s but still a 500

129_zps2w8uxrjo.jpg

How d"you get the back wheel oot jimmy, on the bathtub,   its encased ,  :rolleyes:

In those days you just abandoned the bike and stopped paying the 'never never'

Blackhat, after you have taken all the bolts and screws out you can then take the wheel off, why do you think folks took them off as soon as they bought the bike?

Untitled569_large.png?v=1420925801

• 3 months later...
On 5/14/2016 at 7:01 PM, Cynic said:

My dad has an itch that needs scratching. He has always talked about the triumph sport cub, SPECIFICALLY the sport cub not the tiger cub. A T20SH in anorak, ideally around 63/64.

Or, option 2 is a Triumph 350 or 500 speed twin. Ideally around 64 when they stopped fitting the fairing around the rear of the bike. Maybe a mid season one but not the early.

Thanks.

Cynic, Did you manage to get anything

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967-TRIUMPH-MOUNTAIN-TIGER-CUB-/331958428166?hash=item4d4a43a206:g:Ej0AAOSwFdtXyb3H

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger-T90-350cc-500cc-1968-Matching-Engine-Frame-Numbers-/302061892889?hash=item46544ab519:g:nmYAAOSwxg5XzE18

Cantankerous bugger has had a change of heart.

He is starting to realise he is actually older than he thinks and now confesses he needs leccy start so his original choices have got muddled.

At the minute. I have no idea what he's thinking of.

My mum had her hip op recently so the bike has been put on hold for a while.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online