Summer bikers

Variomatic
This post is 2872 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thankfully all the summer bikers are coming out of the sheds for the summer, it's nice to see so many more bikes about. But last spring, and this one I'm noticing a trend, none of them nod, maybe my engine size doesn't please them, or they're just snobs. I don't understand, not a single one I've seen thus far will nod back. Kinda makes me laugh, whilst they sat inside all winter polishing and drinking tea I was out, and now they look down on me.

• Like 3

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

They're not snobs, they're just focussing on the road like buggery 'coz they're scared shitless, having lost any 2 wheeled skills they may have had before winter.

• Like 4

i ride to and from work everyday and I see the same people also commuting on there bikes, we always nod and sometimes the odd wave. 

Had a play about with a guy on a wr400 a few weeks back on the way home. We 'nudged' at the round about and went different ways - was pretty cool! 

• Like 1

I find its the wallet warriors that dont nod. Because they dont know/care.

Those of us that have lived bikes. Had the near and not so near misses, as well as all the other negatives you experience owning a bike. The negatives that get forgotten as your bike clears its throat on a clear, warm and dry day and you let it sing.

Their loss.

• Like 3

Ah "Wallet Warriors" not heard that in a few years, they are the ones who buy their NEW bike cos they used to ride but got jobs that didn't let them play anymore now they want their youth back, poor souls think that us old bike riders are not posh enough for them and their power ranger set. Mind you if you stop beside them at a services or some such they will tell you how MUCH faster their bike is than yours !! Had one of them tell me his bike could do 200MPH, I asked him how terrified he was when he was going that fast, said he only knew cos it said so in the sales brochure Image result for emoticons laughing

• Like 4

Heading over to Ireland 1999 on my auld XS1100 and I was stowed beside two fellas on brand newish bikes....Look says I we are all T plates (mine '79 theirs 99)...The look of disgust on their faces made me chuckle, as did their (failed) attempts to get away from me between Larne and Enniskillen.... Just sat behind behind them all the way until I cut off and headed up to Ballyshannon

• Like 1

By and large motorcyclists are quite a liberal group of closely and more loosely affiliated people. If people wave or nod thats fine, if they don't that is also fine. Ride safe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, slice said:

Ah "Wallet Warriors" not heard that in a few years, they are the ones who buy their NEW bike cos they used to ride but got jobs that didn't let them play anymore now they want their youth back, poor souls think that us old bike riders are not posh enough for them and their power ranger set. Mind you if you stop beside them at a services or some such they will tell you how MUCH faster their bike is than yours !! Had one of them tell me his bike could do 200MPH, I asked him how terrified he was when he was going that fast, said he only knew cos it said so in the sales brochure Image result for emoticons laughing

FFS I've got a new bike so does that make me a wallet warrior!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cynic said:

I find its the wallet warriors that dont nod. Because they dont know/care.

Those of us that have lived bikes. Had the near and not so near misses, as well as all the other negatives you experience owning a bike. The negatives that get forgotten as your bike clears its throat on a clear, warm and dry day and you let it sing.

Their loss.

I put you in the second group, you didn't just decide, 'hey i'd like a motorbike', then go out and buy everything to make you a 'biker' (hate that word).

• Like 2

The current ratio in West Yorkshire is about 70/30. I've been riding for a couple of months now, and most of what I see around here is 125cc scooters with L plates. The nod is more typical of experienced riders I find, be it simple commuters or proper hairy chested Triumph owners. Hoping to see more of them coming out in the next few weeks.

...or proper hairy chested Triumph owners...

Ooh... Somebody must have seen me out and about last weekend...

• Like 7

Don't object to being called a biker, been called lot of things over the years including rocker,greaser and even called a hell's angel. Back in the late 60's I remember I fancied a girl where I worked, thought I was doing alright but when I asked her out she point blank refused, said she couldn't go out with a hell's angel. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cynic said:

I put you in the second group, you didn't just decide, 'hey i'd like a motorbike', then go out and buy everything to make you a 'biker' (hate that word).

That's the problem, people do exactly that :rolleyes: Those guys shit me up the walls, a fat old bloke on a mint condition 1200cc Harley, wearing all Harley Gear who covers 500 miles a year.

Oh, is it that time of year already?

There are four seasons to biking:

1 - Summer riders don't nod...
2 - Summer riders in t-shirts and flipflops
3 - What is this wet stuff falling from the sky?
4 - Bloody freezing, innit!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Oh, is it that time of year already?

There are four seasons to biking:

1 - Summer riders don't nod...
2 - Summer riders in t-shirts and flipflops
3 - What is this wet stuff falling from the sky?
4 - Bloody freezing, innit!!!

Nah! 3 and 4 cover most of the season except for ???, i think its a Tuesday this year.

• Like 1

As a new rider (with L plates on) I've found over that last few weeks people have been nodding down my way (sussex) - which has felt really good to be part of the community.

But as a newbe I'm still wondering if I've earnt the right to nod to other riders yet?

I find a fair number of other riders nod if I'm on the YBR125 or the trike.

I've even had a few nods whilst under the supervision of an instructor, which is a bit awkward as I'm not sure if he would be very pleased if I kept nodding back. ;-)

Don't worry about your L plates, we've all been there although for some of us it was a year or three back, as long as you don't ride like a plonker you will accepted by most. YES nod, feel free to nod, by all means return the nod

Did I say nod

• Like 3

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online