YBR-125 Custom - Speedometer ratio?

3d7omb
This post is 3096 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys. Not long passed my CBT and decided to get myself a lovely YBR-125 custom, brand new. Unfortunately, I ended up coming off on my first ride out on it and smashed up the dash. I've looked at replacing this, but a new part is going to set me back at least £250, and to be honest, the stock dash is the only part about the bike I find unattractive.

So, my question is, could someone please tell me what the ratio is for the speedo in order to replace it with a non-stock part and for it to be accurate?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How damaged is the meter unit? You could possibly replace only the parts needed, which would be cheaper though possibly more work. I am not an expert on this, but I have had a look at the YBR service manual and there is no mention of ratio - my assumption was that if a speedo cable fitted into the meter, it would read the speed? (The only inaccuracy I can think of would be due to wheel size?- could be wrong - and I am not sure if there are any legal requirements on accuracy here.)

This site (MSP) has an exploded view of the meter which may useful in helping to work out which bit you may need if you don't go for non-stock, or for a repair in the meantime. (Though this is for YBR125ED 2014)

Also alternatively you can get non stock speedos which use magnets to measure speed. These may be easier to set up.

Edited by Malleus
  • Like 1

Speedo cable fit right in. Got someone to follow me in a car. I raised my hand when I got to what I thought was 30, then 40 and then 60. 30 Was on the dot, 40 was real close and 60 was actually about 53. I have not done any additional config as I have no idea how, but I am not entirely fussed as at least I won't be caught speeding. If I remember, I will post photos tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online