1976 Yamaha V50

Callyspoy
This post is 2811 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello there!

I've posted in a couple of different sections, but as the bike is now officially a project i thought i'd create a "proper" project thread.

Short history of the bike...

Bought 18 months ago, it had been off the road since around '88, i bought it from the original owner, so an owner number 2, which is nice.

The wee Yammy was and is in a bit of a mess, but passed an MOT last december after a bit of tinkering and some new tyres and a fuel tap.

I then decided that the speed wasn't up to much even by my standards (riding on CBT, but been driving cars for a decade) so i bought a V80 to put in it's place.

The little thing is much nicer with that engine, can do 50 easily enough but i really just wanted it so that i could get to 30 a bit quicker. I ride an '88 cb125 as my daily (a baby meant i had to curtail my classic car obsession!) but i do really like the Yammy and will sell the Honda once it's back on the road.

So last week i had a chat with my wife and we/she decided that it would be the ideal time to strip down the Yammy. It needs a bit of frame work as it is pretty rusty and i didn't want it to go too deep as it's just surface with a couple of areas of pitting, but no holes or thin metal anywhere, which is nice.

I got the strip down done in a few hours and did an hours worth of wire wheeling on the frame yesterday.

Below are a couple of pictures, i hope to have the bike back on the road by June at the latest. It's not going to be a show bike and is going to be used daily, so i'll be doing it all on a relative budget, especially as it's worth buttons anyway!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Here it is before the strip and engine change. I got a seat cover as a christmas present!

7AE89BCD-D21A-46F7-B298-97A6DFF79172.jpg

Here is me stripping it down and the frame

3CB57CC9-D472-4B4F-9590-0C52B0C84929.jpg

1FE36EE0-9C0A-44C8-8045-B028D2111AE1.jpg

And here is the frame as it stands at the moment, lots to do!

F0285C62-1934-4C7B-8C2F-DBDEAD7A9A46.jpg

6CC326FA-75D1-4591-A4BE-685B6C7E1534.jpg

Great stuff Cally" I rmember them step- thru"s. pressed frame, in the street eh,,,what if it rains,,, :babyha:

good start.

powder coaters would have done that and coated it for £50 and less hassle

Yes i've gone backwards in man cave terms! I had a garage 2 homes ago, then a car port last time round, now i have nothing, boo! It was a quich strip before relocating to the garden.

Drewpy, i've no doubt i could've, but it really is a budget build, so £50 is better spent on other bits. My time is free and the wire wheels are only £3 each. Would've been nice though as a powder coat would've been great. Hey ho. I'll be complaining in a year about the rust!

Foamy, your "works car park" covers about 25 square miles and has hangers the size of football fields, so saying your the same as Cally is like saying that bubonic plague is the same as a touch of the flu !!! :biglaugha:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Very small update here, my one year old and wife don't allow for much bike time!

Frame is all stripped down, so now ready for paint prep, i'm looking forward to that bit a bit more than the crappy stripping!

Forks have started with the stripping, a little bit more time on those and they'll be fine. Next up will be the tank, that'll be it with stripping, then it's on to the spraying and build up.

Just need a few more hours in the day!

719BBA7C-E7A2-4C49-9C1C-A16C4F9DCFB9.jpg

5414AE0E-BF91-4682-9DD5-F6F02323391F.jpg

Its coming along tho calpy" ...bear metal looks good, not much tin worm,,, :yeah:

There are no bits at all on it that are really thin or holey, i guess when it was laid up in '88 it really was in a garage.

I actually am only doing the strip as i need to sell my CB125 but know that if i didn't catch the Yammy rust before it started to go deep, it'd quickly deteriorate and i'd be left using pedals on my pushbike, no thank you!

The joy of having a baby meant the car was sacrificed, a small sacrifice of course for such a grand life change.

431E2E0D-806A-4430-B519-8BBA3167C3E7.jpg

First bit of primer on the inside of the frame, just brushed on for this. The outside will be done with a compressor and gun though! It just allowed me to start on it yesterday evening whilst my wife was in the bath!

Looking good, tho it would have been nice to see "the wife" in the bath rather than some old bit of metal!!! :biglaugha::shakeno:

• Like 3

Yes that part of married I know well !!

• Like 1