Yamaha XS250 1978

Unk
This post is 2759 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Welcome to the diary of my XS250 restoration. It's my first full blown project and so as I go along any suggestions, advice or encouragement would be gratefully received. I do not have a timescale for the project I just envisage it being a labour of love and discovery.

If I knew how to upload the photo's I have taken in my newly opened Photobucket account I'd put them here too!

Watch this space!

a2237bf3-d6f0-4690-a740-27f4ca6423bf_zps

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Unk, in your photobucket account, click on the photo you want and you will see 4 boxes to the right, click inside the box IMG..(the bottom one) and you will notice it responds with 'Copied', Paste it into your forum post, go back and repeat with as many pics as you want to show, they can all be in the same forum post and you can comment on what they are in your post as necessary

OK unk in photo bucket move your cursor over pic you want, you will then see a cog in top right corner of pic click on cog then click share, then click IMG at the bottom of list & then paste here

Thanks guys....can I (do I need to) resize them or they are going to take up shed loads of space on the forum?

IMG_1279_zps190d14b9.jpg

whats the other bike Unk

Ahh have you spied the front wheel of the little C90 Cub that I whet my appetite on?

Should be a good one. :thumb:

bloody hell unk, some work there.

I have a load of bits I don't want and you can have them for free if you fancy a trip to drewpy towers in Manchester?

I have already given some stuff away but, when you are doing up a bike, you never know what you may need!

OK so ventured into the garage tonight to begin the strip down......it's amazing what a bag of worms you can uncover in a very short space of time.

The seat pan is shot......damn......it looked okay until I started to remove the side trim strips and it basically crumbled in my hand.....so now on the look out for a new/old/recon seat pan.....the foam looks like it will survive thankfully.

Rear mudguard removed and whoever painted it before made a real pigs ear of it not even allowing the paint to dry before bolting the rear light assembly back on!

The frame has a tiny crack in it where the left hand side indicator mounts but that is not really a problem and so far the rest of it looks sound.

Before I started the breakdown I applied power to the bike to test the electrics and all worked with the exception of the neutral light.......yes it was in neutral.

Tomorrow's another day as they say!

Why would you. No disrespect meant mate, but lifes too short to waste time on it. As the auld saying (almost) goes...You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd

It's a personal thing.....from the days when I was young and it never let me down....

you see that's were you & Jimmy differ, cos one of jimmy's first bikes was an xs250 and his was a bag of shite, my first bike was an xs250 & I loved it

I agree with jimmy though you could pick one up in a lot better nick for a fraction of the money you'll need to get that roadworthy, let alone restored.

I too have to agree just fix what needs fixing and custom the rest on the cheap,flat track it or ?? Restoring a 250 is nuts,,but it's your money if it's what you want then we will be watching and waiting :popcorn:

Wrong, you CANT polish a turd but you CAN roll it in glitter

That will be why I said "As the auld saying (almost) goes"

Do try and read the posts

you see that's were you & Jimmy differ, cos one of jimmy's first bikes was an xs250 and his was a bag of shite, my first bike was an xs250 & I loved it

I agree with jimmy though you could pick one up in a lot better nick for a fraction of the money you'll need to get that roadworthy, let alone restored.

You are correct Tommy. Although I wish it was different, as I bought my xs250cw (the one with the bigger tank) and loved the look of it and for the first few months it was love.....Then it all went wrong

Unk....Sorry to sound harsh mate, no personnel offence was meant