Net shopping vs a Bike shop

dt502001
This post is 3639 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What are your thoughts,I have heard people complaining about parts and qualitly after net purchasing.

I don't use the net to get parts,I use the local shops 2 reasons 1 help keep the doors open 2 if thier is a problem they will be seeing me in person when I have a problem.But honestly the guys I deal with are that good that I never have a problem, and price wise they are right in line with any deal on the net.Any bill I get also gets 10% knocked off sticker price with out asking,end of year gear I have got at cost or less Tires at 15% over cost

They can get almost anything in a day or less. Even the local Yam dealer is not that bad price wise and only charge 10 bucks to special order stuff over night from japan.

Actualy 3 reasons i like stoping in and talking with the guys see what new stuff they are bulding ,friday after work for a cold one just for no reason other than I like the guys. there are 7 shops within 30 min of my place and it's nice being on first name basis with them all and they know I don't mind lending a hand when they have open doors days,special rides or a BBQ.

I know in todays world people shop on line but I grew up without the net and have supported the shops for the last 40 odd years I think It will be a sad day when the small independent shops are gone because they have to pay to keep a physical bulding open so yes they need to charge a bit more but in the long run you get better service.

The parts guys at these shops are bike people not just data entry people who have never even ridden a bike,they know your bike and they know the parts that fit,they take the time to make sure you get the right part the first time. I don't look up the part #'s they do so if its wrong it's NMP.They deal with it.

The choice is up to all of us to support them or not but the benifits far out weigh the cost IMO

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I try to use the guy who runs our local shop. His name is Ewan Haldane and he used to race bike. His claim to fame is 3rd place in the 1954 Senior Clubmans TT. He was leading for the first 2 laps and overshot his petrol station. It cost him an extra 30s and he lost by 29s.

A great auld guy to sit and chat with and he still has his BSA Gold Star he raced with.

If I am looking for accessories or parts I will do the research on line but try to buy from my local shop - (World of Bikes In Corby)

Used to be 3 bike shops in my Town now only 2 as the last one went tit's up early this year, heard a story from one of the mechanics saying that a guy came in and wanted a fix on his bike (ex-ebay) cos there had been a recall on this particular model a few years previous, could not understand why the shop wanted payment for his problem, on a bike they didn't sell him, and he had to get in touch with the manufacturer himself. I mean some folks are dumb and some are just beyond description, I try to buy local but we only have general bike dealers no specific Yam dealers nearby.

As I thought not much input from the younger gen.

• Like 1

When I started riding on a little 50 scooter it developed a problem so I took it to my local bike shop. The guys in there all but laughed in my face for what I was riding. Now I ride a 1000cc V-twin but I wouldn't go back there if it was the last place to get spares.

As I thought not much input from the younger gen.

I visit the shops for everything bike related - good excuse to head out on my bike.

The Triumph garage I like is over an hour away (there is a closer one), but I have a good relationship with them (fist name basis) which results in a few benefits for me, such as:

- sound and honest advice from them. I'm not mechanically minded and they know that, but they are happy to show me things and explain in a non-patronising manner.

- the flexibility to try things out before I buy without hassle.

- decent reductions as I'm a repeat visitor and they understand the benefit of my return business.

There is a clothes shop I also use which is about 50 miles away. Don't go to them as often now that I'm sorted out with what I need, but they always give 5% off when I do, and freakishly enough always remember my name, which still surprises me. Guess I must have a recognisable face?!

So, despite working in IT and coming from the generation of the Internet, I prefer the shops.

I buy things like chain lube, spark plugs oil & filters from my local bike shop, but any parts for an old bike like mine I have to use the web. I support my local bike shop as their the only ones I trust to do the MOT, anything else I do myself.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online