matching numbers

simontaylor
This post is 6639 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I am more into cars, so selling bikes is new to me.......

I am selling a trials bike on behalf of someone who bought it "thinking" they would do some trials, but plans changed. Anyway, a potential buyer phoned up and asked if it had matching numbers, so to stall I said I would call them back tomorrow.

So, what is all this "matching numbers" all about?

It is a TY 175, non-road legal, trials bike and the frame and engine do have different numbers. I sort of thought that matching numbers might indicate that the engine was the original, but a google search tells me that BMW do not allways have matching numbers, but the site can tell you the year of the bike from the VIN number.

Is Matching numbers important?

Is there a Yamaha resourse to tell me anything else on the bike based on frame or engine no?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Anyone want a TY 175 in excellent condition?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Im presume he just wants to know if all the numbers are the same on the engine, chasis and log book

• 2 weeks later...

Nah

It,s not cheating all engines and frames are4 not numbered until a little jap puts em on in the factory

so if he put the wrong one on your frame or engine yuo must be entitled to change it.

I heard of a guy on the lc forum that got new engine casings for a 350 lc and was told by the old bill he had to have numbers stamped on em so he put his birth date on em, so if you spot a lc with a weird engine numbers thets wot it is

get a set of number and letter stamps and you can make matching numbers :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My brother's done the very same thing to his Hybrid Bultaco.....Frontera frame.....Pursang motor B)

Mainly did it as the headstock was shagged.....so he welded on a new one & then stamped the VIN numbers to match. ;)

• Admin

The police actually stamped my friends bike frame for him!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online