DTR problems

mattyboy22
This post is 3545 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, ive got a 1990 yamaha dtr which im gonna be rebuilding but the engine thats currently on the bike is a 2006 which isnt wired in at all so i was wondering if it'll pay me to get a 2000-2003 engine to go on as i cant find any 1990 engines about at all, i do have the origanl engine but it was droped n apart of the engine casing and it'll need a whole rebuild n new intenals but i do have a wiring loom for the 2006 engine but i'll just have to wire everything in on the bike, im just kinda lost on what im gonna do so i thought i'd come on here n ask you guys for some advice. thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well if you have everything for the 2006 including the cdi & voltage regulator( possibly the vr is the same but doubt the cdi is) then why go buy other stuff? Get yourself a wiring diagram for the 2006 and start pluging in things chech you ignition switch that they are in the correct position and the rest is pretty straight foward.

That said do you know if the 2006 motor is any good? Compression, stator is good, shift through the gears,clutch releases/enguages. you would want to know before you go and switch everything only to find you have to rebuild it.

What is exactly wrong with the 1990 motor you say it needs a complet over haul? rarely do you need to replace much more than say pistons rings possibly the crank and seals.But you would want to open it up and check things like clutch and tranny

You realy havent given enough information about the rest of the bike either is going to need chain sprockets tires ect.. you want to do is sit down and realy try to put together a cost list and then see if fixing it is work it vs just going and buying a running bike and keep it for spares,to many times people start projects and then realize it would have been better to not do it after they spent a ton of cash.

Hope that helps answer you question

the rest of the bike is in pretty good shape just needs a clean up n a respary the old 1990 motor sized n then was droped n the side of the crank casing has a chunk missing n it was left outside for over a year when i was storing the bike at a friends house a few days after i droped it off he put it in hes back graden when the arrangment was for to be stored in hes garage n thats what i had paid for but it was left in the open with no cover over it, i do have the CDI unit for the 2006 engine n also the engine is pretty good shape aswell good compression theres a bit of casing missing that houses the stater motor but im not bothered about that as i will be using the kick start anyway the only thing im really worried about is the engine number on the 2006 engine ive never seen an engine number like it so i dunno if that'll be wise when i inform the DVLa of the new engine number, sorry for the lack of information to start with im new to all this forums stuff, thanks again for your help anyway

Run the number with the dvla and see if its a good number they changed the way the stamp the numbers from a solid stamp to more of a dimple type of number so might be good number.

When in doubt I always tell the dvla that I am thinking of buying and would like to know if it's a good number before buying, then if it comes up bad, stolen or what ever then you know. Thery don't charge for that here but if they do your side well worth a few bucks to know.