Ymaha ycs 180 engine help please

90mjm
This post is 3658 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just bought a 69 180 Yamaha and ran fine home started up idled fine no problems. There was a little rust from tank sitting and not properly stored so I took the tank off cleaned ur up put a new fuel petcock in because the old one was shot, leaked, and fuel was only coming out one side nicely other side just trickled. But mind you it still idiled for at least 10 mins. no problem and ran at speed up to 40 to take it home to my place..Now it is very hard to start will not idle for more than 15 seconds and exhaust only coming out left side. There is spark to plug (new ones installed) took off exhaust piston looks nice, took off filters, took petcock back off, no signs of problems....I'm lost....When it starts (very hard I might add) the smoke only comes out the left, the exhaust is extemely hot, and the right side, very little exhaust comes and exhaust doesn't get hot at all ??? You can hear a slight ticking (my neighbor said) out the one side but he is puzzled too. I'm lost as I said and feel very defeated, been at it all day. Thanks for any help you all can offer.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yip, as Kev says you are more than likely to have blocked jets. You don't mention cleaning the carbs, so I would start with that. I would also fit in-line fuel filters to prevent any small rust particles clogging it up again

• Like 1

Yes I have ran in-line filters on both lines. I spoke with a guy here in Nebraska HVC Cycles and he said could be maybe battery, points or even then the charging system, because the whole system he said runs from a 12 volt system. If the battery is not fully charged or is bad its not putting out the proper current to coils,points, etc,etc.even though there is spark to wire. He said each one is ran seperately............so one could be afected and not the other. Than he said after measureing current, go to the carb. Forgot to mention that when I pulled the plug it was wet, I think more oily (slick with gas) but without a strong odor of gas. And putting my finger over the plug hole both sides seems to have good presure. I will try the carb cleaning Do I need to take it off and if so should I have a new gasket on hand or can I make one from gasket paper?? Thanks for giving me ideas.

Alright man , it's always a good idea to make sure the electrics are good before you go messing with the carbs . But , I think if this was an electrical problem you would have unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust . Cleaning the carb isn't a big job but there are lots of small parts and delicate adjustments . Take note of the positions of air screw , throttle stop etc , by counting the turns in until gently seated and place them in the same positions on reassembly . It would be best to have a diagram and the specifications at hand if you're not familiar with the job . Gaskets can be made , but they're small and fiddly to cut out and are quite cheap to buy (I think) , and the aerosol carb cleaners work well as do those small ultrasonic cleaners people use for cleaning jewellery . Check the condition of the float valve needle and seat for wear and replace them if necessary (save you trouble later ) . Don't forget to banish any rust or debris from the fuel system or you could find yourself becoming an expert on carb cleaning . It might be a good idea to overhaul the other carb while you're there , but do one at a time so as not to mix up the parts . Best o' luck !

Alright man I take that all in consideration, got a couple of books coming my way. I will keep that in mind with the carbs, I got a neighbor that has many years with Yamaha and other toys. I will see him on the carb deal. Thanks for the post and I'll be back to fill ya all in on my findings. Maybe a week or so but I will return...

• 3 weeks later...

Well I haven't deserted all you all, but been busy here in garabage land 4 trucks down and only mine was running. Whew what do you tell your boss ????????? All that a side took the carbs off and yes something is goofy for sure, cleaned all out (very dirty alot of rusty powder residue that was clumping up), started much easier, now it is firing out the right side and not the left. Yes I know it WTF!! but it is, so I tore down the carb 3 times 1st time dirty 2nd not too dirty but float seemed sticky 3rd all is fine. However it seems like the choke lever on the left side when I push it down than up again it starts to fire and the engine will rev up than exhaust looks nice. Didn't think about pulling choke out. Could this be the problem ?? But yes thinking definitely fuel issues over electrical. THANKS to all.

• 2 weeks later...

We got her going. My friend I work with swung by today to help me out, very knowledgeable in all mechanics. We took off the carb again and yes more junk in the jet, he cleaned it all out and adjusted the float level a little, did some fine tuning and starts beautifully. Rides great, good idle, and starts one kick not 8. Very happy and greatful because this thing was whipping me bad. So junk in the carbs was a definite, Thanks for you allls input on things for us to check. I love my bike and he said it was nice rider, and looked great. :hyper:

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online