Newbie Rider - Yamaha SR

This post is 3507 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie rider (only got my CBT just over 2 weeks ago!) and just picked up my first bike! It's a cute Yamaha SR 125, a little old and with a few tweaks needed but so far I absolutely love it.

So hi, as I said i'm very new to bikes so any advice on day to day maintenance and tricks of the trade would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
:welcome:
  • Like 1

Hi and welcome to the YOC. :wavey:

• Like 1

:wavey: welcome to the YOC!

First step is to get (and read) the manual. :thumb:

Hi, welcome. :welcome:

Tire pressuers and chain check before every ride.

Welcome to the forum!

As above, check tyre pressures and chain tension regularly and don't forget the petrol (you may laugh but it happens!)

Oh, and enjoy it! :jossun:

Hi, welcome. :welcome:

Tire pressuers and chain check before every ride.

As above really but Tyres :D Keep an eye on your bulbs to make sure they work. Keep an eye on your oil. keep an eye on tyre wear and condition. Service the bike so you know when all was done.

They are very hardy bikes generally and can take a lot of abuse.

• Like 1

Also keep an eye on the cam chain tensioner on top of all of the above!

What year is yours?

Welcome, great little bike, my son had one for years until he passed his test, then he defected to a Harley.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, she's a 1991 model. A little old but running pretty damn well! A few little niggly bits i've had to sort out, drain he old fuel off and i'm just in the process of checking the better which I think needs replacing. Anyone know if this a big job or not?

I'm trying to get hold of a manual but am still using Google mostly atm.

So things to check regularly are:

Tyre Pressure & Wear

Chain

Fuel

Oil

Bulbs

Does that about cover everything?

It is a very easy job. Just be careful to disconnect the negative side first so if you accidentally touch the frame when undoing the positive side with the spanner it won't short anything. Battery's last a couple of years and many people find that the first really cold night of winter kills them if they are much older than that.

There are lots of types so do a little research. I prefer AGM or gel batteries - maintenance free once fitted.

Negative Disconnected first, got it.

Thanks for the recommendations on the battery type too. I gave her a charge last night, going to check and see if it's dropped this evening. Hopefully it'll be fine and I can pop out for a ride tonight!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online