Help with XS 250 valuation please

idlejohn
This post is 3708 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, just wondered what people though the value would be on a bike I have. It a 1980 XS250 in black (Mars bar) its in showroom condition and has covered just 3300 miles in its 34 years. I have every Mot, original keys, handbook, tool kit ect. It really is a beautiful bike but I have no idea of its worth as the only ones I can find on ebay and such are ratters. This is pristine, taxed, mot'd and genuinely original.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

unfortunately its worth about £800 to £1k tops

there just isn't the love out there for them.

£30 and a carrot + delivery, just to show I'm not cheap like some people!!! :rofl:

Oh yeah as well as the fact that this guy will "NEVER" come back once he gets his valuation, it would have helped if he had at least said PLEASE FFS.

• Like 1

As Drewpy said I'm afraid, although I think the 1980/81 was a much better looking bike than the earlier squarer shaped one's

£840 is about what I paid for mine brand new in 1980 so they've held their price really well :biglaugha:

The price of a box of matches

• Like 1

He should already have the petrol.

Just another one of the people trying to sell the bike for top dollar in the hope that someone is going to throw a big wad of cash at them from this site. All for free i would guess.

I hate to pay fleabay fees and the like but at least it opens the market and is quick. Easy to stick the bike on for a 99p start and a £20k reserve and see where it gets to. I doubt it would break the £1k mark but, being a man of my word, my £30 offer still stands.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Stick it on Ebay and see what you get.

Thanks Guys, yes airhead I wish it was an RD, this belonged to my uncle but its never been used hence the mileage. I've ridden bikes since I was 14 (46 now) and can honestly say I've never heard of one so they can't have been popular at all. I'm just wondering whether to store it as they must be fairly rare, or sell it for my Auntie, hence needing an idea on worth. Edited by DDT.

We are a mainly friendly bunch here however; we do get a lot of people coming on for help in one post and then never returning to say if the help worked, or not. Some people try and sell, and some to post a wanted ad - both breaking the forum rules in the process.

We are a forum of bike lovers but we are a forum. People who spend time here do spend a lot of it helping others more than anything else. Without these people no one would get any help. We ask if people post a "hello" message before posting their woes. Many first post questions go unanswered or help is often limited. We like a bit of banter, but no all out abuse.

Some comments are based on historical posts - including mine. I have personally deleted more posts like this - admittedly where people have posted their contact details to try and sell than I care to think of.

There is a XS market but it is limited due to the bike in your case being a 250.

well its a shame you edited it really, as he'll now never know how he makes a newbie feel will he? Is it a wonder people don't come back. I agree in the main the answers were constructive and friendly but both yourself and Slice need to take a long look in the mirror. Mind you, I expect you'll edit this too, pissed with power as a moderator I would imagine.

well its a shame you edited it really, as he'll now never know how he makes a newbie feel will he? Is it a wonder people don't come back. I agree in the main the answers were constructive and friendly but both yourself and Slice need to take a long look in the mirror. Mind you, I expect you'll edit this too, pissed with power as a moderator I would imagine.

we tend to find that peeps who do an intro first and then ask q's later tend to stick around and helping those peeps out tends to feed other posts which keep the forum alive.

someone posting a question as first post only gets peoples back up as, happens all the time, we never see them again and we feel used because of this.

Hence DT's post

You are entitled to your opinion of me and, until the last sentence, I don't have an issue on what you said in your last post.

The forum is regularly mentioned as one of the best places to come for info and help so at least some people on the forum must be doing a good job.

",,,pissed with power,,," now that was funny.

I was so tempted to stick a like on this one :chair: Glad to see you've not lost your sense of humour DDT

Idlejohn all I can say is we all like a bit of banter on here, stick around you'll get used to us honestly, if I were you and had somewhere dry to store it, then that's what I'd do its a classic design and as they get older and rarer the price is bound to go up

It is taxed as it goes, I've always had big sports bikes so don't see myself on an old learner bike to be honest, I think I'll dry store it for another 10 years, if only the prat had bought an LC eh? I quite like older stuff these days, I have a 97 Blade that's absolutely as it left the factory, more fun than the latest stuff and more of a talking point when you go anywhere.

• Like 1

I was so tempted to stick a like on this one :chair: Glad to see you've not lost your sense of humour DDT

Idlejohn all I can say is we all like a bit of banter on here, stick around you'll get used to us honestly, if I were you and had somewhere dry to store it, then that's what I'd do its a classic design and as they get older and rarer the price is bound to go up

I grew up in a very poor family so I didn't have toys, or a pram to throw them out of.

There is nothing wrong with reading comments and reflecting, this is one of those posts for me. Yes, we do get posts where people are breaking forum rules and the occasional spammer but they are sorted very quickly. We don't have the rubbish going on that many sites suffer from where it is deemed acceptable to post abuse or threats. I will say that idle johns edited post did not fall into any of those categories. Falling foul of the sites netiquette is not a crime, it is how it is remedied that is important.

There is/was a RD - I can't remember if air cooled or LC - on fleabay for a little short of £10k. It was unregistered. If the XS is worth £1k then riding around on a tidy classic will be cheap. It will never be worth a mint because it is a a XS and it is a 250. It doesn't mean it isn't worth keeping or riding. I wouldn't convert it into cash as it would be worth more to me as a ride - with family history - than just an asset.

• Like 1