yamaha SR125 cuatome start problems

o5otato5o
This post is 3571 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

If anyone has any ideas fire away starts on bump but not button runs and rides but cuts out when i stop so far carb cleaned new plug oil changed tappets set (not perfect no feelers) timeings lined up fine ima slightly lost its slowly got worse since my daughter dropped it

Any help much appreciated its my only.transport sorry if this is a repost

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the forum!

It's normal to say hi in the new members section first - introduce yourself etc - you'll get a lot more help!

That said, probably needs a new battery.

• Like 1

Recent new battery i thought the same hope not this ones only 2 month old what could cause battery kill

And really sorry but need bike for work so was trying to be quick but will post asap in the new members section

What is happening when you press the button? Does the starter turn? After you've bumped her and she won't start again, does it make any difference using the choke? How did you clean the carb? Were all holes clear? Did you reset the screws correctly? When you bump her, does she idle right and does the throttle respond?

Try using the search function on here - I had a similar problem and you may find the answers!

If not give us all a little more info as to what has and is happening. There are a few of us on here (most with more knowledge than me!) with SR's and someone may be able to help :)

Rectifier/regulator, you need to check whats coming in [ volts] multi meter needed.

• Like 1

She tries at about half rev she just fired once but then died on idle again cleaned with carb cleaner checked all jets float seat and float level all good nice spark aswell once starte i can ride say to the super market wont start again have to bump it it turns over and sounds very close to starting but just wont go that little extra sorry for grama etc but i am dyslexic auto correct is great :)

My SR would be a sod to restart after stopping for a few minutes when the engine was warm. Sorted itself after I cleaned the carb etc. sounds like there may be more than one problem?

Running - can you turn the idle up to keep it running?

Tappets -these need to be accurate with the right gaps.

As said before - what happens when you push the start button?

Has the bike ever run correctly? Has this just started?

• Like 1

Running - can you turn the idle up to keep it running?

Tappets -these need to be accurate with the right gaps.

As said before - what happens when you push the start button?

Has the bike ever run correctly? Has this just started?

Yes the bike was fine until friday after work altho was becomeing harder to start slowly. can someone verify the tappet gaps for me just waiting on a set of feelers from a freind

No matter how high i set idle it idles high the dies gradualy

And as above with the starting explanation

So when it's cold it's ok (other than having to bump)? Is the air filter clean? What does the plug look like after being run?

Have a read through this. It may help. You'll see from it I am no mechanic!!

• Like 1

Check the flow of gas from the tank. .004 " for the intake and .006 for the exhaust valve

Ok tried again cleaned carb again

1)air screw was full in thats not right is it?

2)cycled again for a fare while on button exhaust got hot so i have ignition right?

3)if i go over 1/3 rev (while starting with button) it gives a throaty pop from exhaust and stopps trying to fire too rich?

I think that's too rich. I think somewhere in my thread I put how far to unscrew the air screw