The next project, cafe racer or streetfighter

Noise
This post is 3094 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've finally got a new project to get my teeth into. I still got to go down to westbay to collect it which im hoping to get it next weekend or some time.

Anyway its a XJ600 diversion which was my mates old instrctors bike which was rear ended at a round about at low speed, its got no seat and apparently the piston rings have blown and its all in bits in his shed.

Now for the price........practaly given it to me and only wants £50 for it! Yes i did just say £50!!!!

Im looking at either doing a cafe racer or a streetfighter but once i get it home i will decide which way im going with it. It will become my wet weather winter hacker.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So your not going to be "WASHING" it then? Ha Ha Ha :biglaugha:

Yer course i am, just with rain water and WD40 and if im feeling nice maybe a bit of cilitbang

good luck Noise, I think easier option is street fighter but I'm sure you could go either way ( insert joke here ) :razz:

Cafe racer... I can see the toaster fitting on that more than a streetfighter...

Although either would be good fun I'm sure. Enjoy your next project!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'll be picking the xj up this Saturday and found out that its a 1996 diversion S.

Only problem i have at the moment is that it has no rear shock and trying to find one less than £100 is proving very hard indeed. Rang 3 local breakers yards and they cant even find a single shock any where even ones over £100.

Do any of you know if any other bikes shock will fit at all?

Use a length of 16mm rod with an eye on each end. Spring the seat. It will look like the rear is floating. Single seat of course.

• Like 1

maybe the early R1 's will fit. I know they fit the FZ if a little on the soft side

Ok cool i'll look into them.

I would do the whole ridgid frame and sprung seat but i think i will let Betty be the one to give me a tender ass.

• Like 1

does it look like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-Yamaha-Seca-II-XJ600-7K-MILES-Rear-Shock-Absorber-56220-4DU-22210-01-00-/161032683268?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257e4bbf04

if so I have one that looks a lot like it off an xs400 monoshock if you get me some measurements I'll check it out, your's for the price of postage Oh yes & if the baby's a boy I want it named after me :babyha:

• Like 1

I'll have a look at that link later on Tom as im on my works PC and Ebay is the DEVIL here and is banned, a mate at work is also lending me his old fireblade shock to see if that fits but till i get the thing on saturday its all just dead in the water and all i can do is read the new haynes manual i got through the post last night.

O and as for the baby name sorry but we have already got a much MUCH cooler name than Tommy :eusa_whistle::biglaugha:

• Like 1

I'll have a look at that link later on Tom as im on my works PC and Ebay is the DEVIL here and is banned, a mate at work is also lending me his old fireblade shock to see if that fits but till i get the thing on saturday its all just dead in the water and all i can do is read the new haynes manual i got through the post last night.

O and as for the baby name sorry but we have already got a much MUCH cooler name than Tommy :eusa_whistle::biglaugha:

so your not naming him after you then!! :eusa_whistle:

• Like 1

Picked this one up last night. Looked a bit rough but managed to get it out of the over grown grass and into the van. Got a box of bits to sort through tomorrow night to see what i have.

Fired her up this afternoon before i went to the pub so i had a happy drink to the gods of bikes to say thank you to them.

DSC_0745_zpsogqfp6at.jpg

Nice blank canvas to get stuck into once the XJ900 is finished

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we go.........time to brush off the cob webs, kick out the local tramp cat and wheel this bit of kit into the cave. Yesterday was a "fix a bike day" at my house and it all started at 0500hrs (yes that time exists on a Sunday) and it was a case of getting the XJ900 finished and started up to be delivered. i then got home to clean the cave and put Betty in to fix her broken exhaust which is now all tickerty boo.

Then my mate Doc turns up with his Triumph Speedmaster with the common fault of a leaking Cam cover gasket which just mean taking off the seat and tank and torquing up the fouor bolts but he's in the process of buying a new gasket and washers so it cures the problem completely.

Then after all that crapola, it was time............

The Purple helmet warrior rolls into the cave and gets attacked by some tools (yes that's me and my mate)

Chain Off

DSC_0763_zps6bfafjci.jpg

Carbs out

DSC_0764_zpsbmxpq1mi.jpg

DSC_0766_zpsm4stmjuv.jpg

DSC_0765_zpslo0jycuh.jpg

Exhaust off

DSC_0761_zpspf0ucwcp.jpg

Engine nearly ready to come out

DSC_0767_zps9oqcjxc2.jpg

Honda Fireblade shock temporely in (needs spacers etc)

DSC_0772_zpsnmxj4dsy.jpg

Going to have the engine out tonight and the rest of the bike is going back out into the car port out my way so i can get going on the re-build :)

Well i done a little bit of work to the bike last night, i was just going to have the night off but i really didn't want to watch crap TV and Nikkita was sound asleep at 1900hrs so its was time for the man cave.

Big hole

DSC_0773_zpsele5caiq.jpg

Engine out

DSC_0774_zpszksaqi7f.jpg

Carcas out into the car port and engine on its table

DSC_0775_zpsqzg6ce39.jpg

Needs some loving

DSC_0776_zpspxfftq8u.jpg

DSC_0777_zpsohec6wa7.jpg

DSC_0778_zpsfjgu1ida.jpg

DSC_0779_zps5dftz99n.jpg

DSC_0783_zpsk0pndsl0.jpg

DSC_0782_zpsbfehaihg.jpg

DSC_0780_zpsosn7ohv0.jpg

I have to Drill out one of these buggers as its so rotten the Hex key cant grip the sides and just rounds the endges.

DSC_0784_zpsuykyfpog.jpg