New YBR owner

Vvy
This post is 3591 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone

Picked up my YBR 125 today, very excited. Hoping to get my full licence by the end of the year... Any tips and advice?

Vanessa

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Vannessa " :wavey: yeh take it easy,,, be aware at x roads & T junctions, as the car drivers are blind nowadays, and often pull out when your near on them,,,just be wary . :drive: .

• Like 1

Hi and welcome!

Fellow 'L' plater here :)

Only a couple of tips from me - assume everyone else on the road is stupid and lies, have fun and don't put your test off too long. Wish I'd done mine 20 years ago when I could afford it!

• Like 1

Hi Nessie, good intro, you'll have all the young lads like bees around a honeypot giving you advice.

But all I can say is when your a biker you tend to be more vigilant as to what's going on around you on the road, so be aware that you're not in a metal cage so just be aware of you're vulnerability while you're on the road.

Do your test as soon as you are ready.

Always lock your bike when parked.

Don't assume anything.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice so far. Luckily I am also a cyclist and fully aware of the possible challenges on the roads, hopefully it will come in handy. I'm taking my theory test in August, so not long now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welcome:

Hi Vanessa and welcome to the forum!

As everyone says, just ride as if everyone else is stupid/psychotic and you'll be fine. You're in a good place for learning to ride (I used to live in SE London) as you'll learn a lot survival habits very quickly!

Enjoy it all, don't get put off when something goes wrong and we look forward to hearing your exploits :)

Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice so far. Luckily I am also a cyclist and fully aware of the possible challenges on the roads, hopefully it will come in handy. I'm taking my theory test in August, so not long now!

Hi and welcome!

your experience with push bikes is good but remember... the speed is bigger, your reactions are the same, the ybr is a lot heavier than a push bike, and the risk to crush is bigger if you lost yourself on a push bike is not so bad than you lost yourself on a motorbike. the most important thing is in my mind now is the clutch. you don`t have this on a push bike and if you don`t have a good clutch control, you can get in some ugly troubles.

@ elvis, for 120 pounds, you can buy 2 way tickets for Romania, with another 100 you pay to get the licence, so, if you plan before you leave the UK, in one weekend you have your full licence for less than 300 pounds... when you come here with full romanian licence, they can`t get you points if you broke the law but they will ask you to change your licence in UK licence FOR FREE. job done :)) do this before UK leave the EU or you will miss the chance :))

Ah, im quite late here, sorry 'bout that peeps.

Welcome to the club, straite jackets come in small, medium and large, please refrain from drawing on the walls with crayon and the insanity is contageous :spin2:

I learned on a YBR125, they are pretty much bombproof as long as you look after them, things like checking tyre pressures and chain tightness should be a daily thing, get it serviced when its due and it will look after you :)

And above else, assume the other road users are retards, because tbh most of them are, if you see one waiting at a junction make eye contact with them or watch the wheels for signs of movement (i.e. them pulling out... giggity...)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2005 yamaha dtr 125, it was my treasure but unfortunately it was stolen from me this New Year's Day! I now own a ybr :P all I hve to say is no matter what, whether you're tired, lazy, In a rush or just plain can't be arsed, ALWAYS lock up your bike! I'm only 17 and have fallen in love with riding, stay safe. Have fun! X

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the further advice guys.

Just seen this. Welcome to the forum vanessa. Advice...keep an all round vision, look far ahead, try to read hazards and listen to the advice your instructor gives you.....Safe bike riding

Still here!!! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Anyone in South London or close?? Could do with a riding partner :-)

Hey, welcome! I'm currently in Egham, Surrey during the weeks - not sure where you are?

Used to have a YBR, great bike. Currently have a Triumph, but still active on this forum as they are a great bunch.

Head back up to Derbyshire on the weekends but happy to meet up for a ride whilst daylight is on our side...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online