ybr lights issue

keysandreas
This post is 3768 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys

Newbie here (mr moderator directed my queiry here!) and pretty chuffed with my new ybr 125, except I have a small issue. Well, maybe not so small!

My dash board lights perdiodically cut out with the dipped beam. So together, and at the same time, they will cut out and it feels like a bad connection somewhere. Then they'll all come on again - then go out - perhaps because of a jolt from the road or I'm not sure what.

Main beam however, works all the time (when i switch it on) , despite the dash being dark.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks, and once again hello all you lovely people.

Andy

ps - i'm a 1st time biker, still to do my 'proper' test so go easy on me :-)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

New ybr - take it back to the dealers

New to you, I would suggest that these have a common earth and that is loose. Almost certain that the issue is behind the headlight but it will be a wiring jungle behind there. Headlight lens off and search for the problem. Mostly earth wires are black,

Most of the wiring on most bikes meet behind the headlight. Sometimes the problem is apparent. a connection that looks loose, a frayed wire etc.

I would start with seeing if the problem happens when the handlebars are turned left or right. I would then take the headlight lens (front) off and see if any pushing of wires creates the issue which may narrow where the problem lies. Then check anything that is a black wire and all of those connectors, then the rest. Connectors can corrode inside where they join and often just need a clean.

Don't be tempted to pull out loads of wires. One wire and connector at a time.

and plenty of photos as you go along.

DTs advice of one at a time is excellent but sometimes we get carried away and start pulling wires, these photos will help if you fall foul to the enthusiasm

You may of course have more then one problem

The Dash probably uses a common earth but the headlight issue sounds a little different.

I'm not sure it would be a common earth problem as you say the main beam is ok, you see the light bulb dip and beam filaments will share the same earth wire.

If the Main beam is unaffected then I would think its the Dip live feed wire or indeed the bulb itself.

Might just be a dirty contact on the bulb. Check the bulb first. Then look for trouble.....