Accidental biker

g1hsg
This post is 3777 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I didn't intend to start riding. Honestly, I really didn't. Two months ago I was quite happy with my car. I've been driving since 1978 and never been particularly interested in cars other than as a tool to get from A to B. So what happened ? My 17 year old daughter decided that she didn't want to take up the driving lessons she was offered for her birthday, instead she announced that what she wanted was a scooter. Cue horrified looks from her mother and I (and also it turns out from all her friends many of whom tried to dissuade her), but he stuck to her decision and in March this year I took her along to do her CBT at a local bike school. She had such a massive grin on her face when I collected her that afternoon that I jokingly said that I might give it a try. So I did. I enjoyed it. A lot. I've just picked a secondhand YBR125 from a guy who is looking to move up to a middleweight. He kept it garaged and obviously cared for it but it still had the original Cheng Shin tyres on it. I've had it re shod in Michelin Pilot Streets and even with my incredibly limited riding experience it feels so much better. Currently trying to get at least an hours riding in a day, usually just as soon as I get home from work. Looking to learn my craft on the 125 and then move up to something larger once I've done my DAS. Had a couple of lessons on an ER6-n which was great. I never imagined that aged 54 the highlight of my day would be jumping onto my bike to just ride for the sheer enjoyment. Oh how I wish I'd discovered this 30 years ago !!

Neil

Manchester

UK

• Like 5

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fantastic story and a great intro...

Welcome to the world, Neil!! ;)

Well done mate, now enjoy the rest of your (riding) life

great intro by the way

:welcome: Neil maybe join us at Squires in sept with your daughter and see the social/camaraderie side of biking too :)

:welcome:

Now "THAT'S" an intro worthy of the name, welcome to the YOC Neil and welcome to the world of motorcycling, glad you enjoy the thrill of getting about without the hassle of finding a parking space, welcome home mate. :jossun::biglaugha:

:welcome: Neil maybe join us at Squires in sept with your daughter and see the social/camaraderie side of biking too :)

Yeah - we even have our own t-shirts :)
  • Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum. It is never too late to start biking and at 54 you will not be the eldest (by a long way) on the forum. I personally passed my car test in '76 and then went out and bought a bike.

As Dreps says, maybe try and join us as Squires this year. quite a few members come from the North West.

Yeh neil" great intro. a lot of us are beck on bikes after a long spell off , enjoy the summer, :jossun: looks like its gonna be a long one . for you southerners anyway,, :wavey:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online