SR125 MOT failure today �

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 3825 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok then as it is sandwiched between the bearings then without it your unsafe without it .

Are you sure it's not in the outer bearing#1? ..........is #1 a bearing or a seal?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Number 1 is the left hand bearing. On the opposite side (brake) is where the bearing pics were from. Inside the hub was loads of dirt and rusty bits of crap.

Then you need to measure the distance between the bearings and see if someone put a longer sleeve in #3 or #2 has in fact disingerated or just missing,Or installed a different wheel.

Without the center of the bearing suported then they will colapse everytime you tighten the axel

I was just thinking the same about measuring the internal of the hub. But it can wait a few hours - it's 3am here lol

Cheers - bearings are out now. I've just measured inside the hub at 109mm so same as the long spacer. Either yamaha changed the spec in 97 (date of my manual) or a previous owner changed the spacer. So panic over there! Bearings are on order and I will be collecting tomorrow. Just got to sort the front brakes out now. Struggling to loosen off a hex bolt though - already twisted a hex key!!

I finally got new seals and after cleaning all corrosion and brake dust away, got it all re fitted. Unfortunately the pads are still binding. New brake fluid, new seals. Only thing is I'm not 100% sure they've gone back in the same way. Although identical pads, one has worn more than the other. Would this make a major difference on refitting? The wheel does turn but not freely. Also, one of the pads had this on it but i can't see what good it did on it's own - I would have expected 2 or 4 to make it symmetrical. Any ideas?7egu4ere.jpg

If one has worn more, the caliper must be sticking , it be the sliding pin type ? , easy strip ,emry - grease. the pins ,

It is the sliding single type. The piston is approximately 35mm. I've stripped it, given a good clean and refitted with new seals. There are also 2 sliding pins, 1 smaller than the other but were both clean to the eye and smooth in operation. They are not operated by the oil and appear to only keep the plates level. I'll strip it again tomorrow after work and see what happens with fresh grease.

nuqu3y5a.jpgedepanu4.jpg

Do these pics help describe what I mean? It's a bit dark out there now, but I'll stick another couple up tomorrow when I've removed it again.

The piston did take a fair amount of effort to push in after I'd put new seals in. Should it have been an easy slide in?

I used a small amount of brake fluid as per manual. Like you say hard to quantify effort used - I'm still suffer from d+v virus so possibly not that hard! I'll take it off and check the grease in the calipers tomorrow night and re post.

Update:

Bled and stripped it all down again and all is clean as a whistle. Used some grease on the bolt that holds the pads and refit to the bike. Bled it all through and working perfectly! Had to switch the wires back for the light cos the high beam light on the dash was working when it shouldn't and vice versa, put new bulb in and is now working as it should. No play in rear wheel and even straightened the rear brake rod. Re test booked for Saturday morning and feeling confident :)

Thanks for all your input!

• Like 2

Well done mate. Brake plate sorted? Tyres still ok...good luck mate

• Like 1

OOps missed this last bit,it not uncommon for the stationary brake pad to wear a little less than the piston side,mainly when thing dont move smoothly.

I know with all the little ones money is alwasys tight but fitting new pads will keep everything wearing even,think about it if the pads are worn uneven then the caliper has to work on a angle that it's not suposed to ,,the only way the caliper can work at a 90 degree is for the pads to sit parrel to the disc.Thye only part that can shift is the caliper to accomedate for un even wear in the pads.

• Like 1

Tyres have about 1000 miles left on them so about 6 months. In about a month I think I'm going to need to fit a new cam chain. There is still about 3mm left on the pads so plenty to play with but I think for the sake of a tenner I'll do them at the same time as new tyres. Then it'll be time for the car to have its MOT! Something tells me I'll still be on L plates at Squires :(