DE-RUSTING fuel tank

slice
This post is 3886 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok peeps I have just looked inside the FJs tank and it's a bit of a horror story lot's of surface rust and general crud and bit's of stuff floating around inside, I seem to remember many years ago you could pour sand (play type) and water into the tank and sort of slosh it around and that would get most of the crud out but was wondering if over the years if someone had come up with a better way than doing a maracas dance in the garage ?? Is there or have you heard of anything that gets the tank clean without giving the impression of doing a bad Dad dance in the dark of your garage, sorry just had a horrible picture of self shaking like I have epilepsy!! Someone MUST have come up with some sort of chemical that will do this without all the shake rattle and roll I seem to remember from days gone by.

Any advice appreciated or your own horror stories gleefully accepted. :crazy:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Worst out with sand, old bolts or ball bearings (pick your choice)

White vinegar - 5ltrs from Fleabay. The link is for 2x5ltrs LINKY

You still have to shake it though. My youngest brother has epilepsy so I could hand the tank to him.

Yes there are chemical treatments to fix the tank but you still have to do the dad dance.

Search for tank sealers. Some are out dated like petseal, whick breaks up in ethanol. There are others, the one I used came from tank care products (I think). Several years ago now. Still have the pot I mixed it in and nothing, NOTHING from bleach to battery acid has so much as stained it.

Handfull of gravel, some white spirit and a dad dance does start things off though.......

Instead of nuts and bolts, I prefer a length of chain that way its easier to remove. Not tried it myself but I've read of folks recommending flat cola. Fill the tank with cheap supermarket cola, leave for a day or so then rinse. As I say not tried it myself

edited to add an n

(since I found out the mods can tell if you've edited a post)

you could try electrolysis

still think you'll end up doing the dad dance though, seen someone on youtube use fishtank grit then wrap it in a blanket and put it in the dryer think you'd need a big dryer though

Instead of nuts and bolts, I prefer a length of chain that way its easier to remove. Not tried it myself but I've read of folks recommending flat cola. Fill the tank with cheap supermarket cola, leave for a day or so then rinse. As I say not tried it myself

edited to add an n

(since I found out the mods can tell if you've edited a post)

We can?

Cola works but is sticky so you will need to get the sugar out afterwards.

We can?

You mean you cant

I had edited a post a wee while ago and was then told I had edited it. I just assumed (and you know what they say about assuming) that the mods could tell, oh well back to unfettered editing :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

I've just done my Fuel Tank using Kreem, three parts. Part A is to clean out rust and crud bad rust requires nuts, stones or chain to help remove rust. Part B cleans out the water and any excess crap and then you have theFuel Tank sealer. Cost £55 but sounds like the cola truck well Work just rinse out with lots of water.

You mean you cant

I didn't say that. Beware of big brother.

Remember to turn off your PC cam when posting in your underpants.

• Like 1

Jimmy if your in your PANTS while answering this STOP IT NOW !!! Bad enough I have to look like a burk without the picture I now have thank you !!!

Anyway back to the point, thanks guys will look at some of the options on offer and get back to you, still not looking forward to shaking this damned great tank about it must weigh 10 pounds all by itself let alone with a gallon of water and a few pounds of sand in it !!!

maybe someone has designed a tank tumbler like the sonic cleaner Jimmy posted for me, can't be too hard something like a spit roast frame with some clamps on to hold the tank :idea:

Wrap it in a blanket and put it in the tumble drier........ :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Put petrol in it, stick Fuel cap on, turn on Fuel valve and add a naked flame, should blow the rust right off. No shaking like a twat just make sure you have a damp towel to hand if things start to get hot.

• Like 1

You buy a kit called POR15 it worked for me, it did the whole job de-rusting, cleaning & sealing.

Dont forget rust used to be the metal your tank is made from, if its bad it needs cleaning and sealing or itwill start leaking.

Frost do the motorcycle POR kit, used it on the FZ tank and its brilliant, £38.

http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-motorcycle-fuel-tank-repair-kit.html

as for nuts and bolts wrap tank in pillows and use a cement mixer, stopping now and then to put tank in different position.

Drewpy I am NOT putting the FJ tank in a cement mixer !!! But thanks for the link will give them a call.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online