Frame paint ??

slice
This post is 3765 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok would like to pick your brains please, as some of you know I have just got myself an FJ1200 which to say the least has been a bit neglected, every nut bolt and fixing is as rotten as a carrot and generally rusty and crusty, don't think it has been cleaned in the 20 years the PO has had it. What I need to ask is what type of paint should I use on the frame, I'm just about to take the engine out and refurb it and that leaves me with the chance to get the frame painted but not really sure which way to go with it, I repainted the XJ a few years ago but that was a bit time consuming actually about 6 weeks work and the thought of another 28 layers of paint makes me think it's a bit OTT. So I could stove enamel it or have it sprayed professionally or just rub it back to a good surface and then rattle can it, I'm trying to keep the cost down if I can but if I paint it again that get's really expensive really quickly, the last lot of paint was £45 per half litre + VAT (UK tax) so if you have any ideas about what has worked best for you over the years I would be grateful for your comments. Thanks all. :jossun:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Powder coat, if you can afford it. Would be about $200 here for a frame to get done. That shit would last forever and be pretty much bullet proof. Another great product is POR15 if you haven't heard of it already.... "Paint Over Rust" is what it stands for. Holds up good but sunlight will make it fade.

I go with powder coating when I'm doing my auld bikes. It works out about £75 for a large bike frame

Powder coat, if you can afford it. Would be about $200 here for a frame to get done. That shit would last forever and be pretty much bullet proof. Another great product is POR15 if you haven't heard of it already.... "Paint Over Rust" is what it stands for. Holds up good but sunlight will make it fade.

I can only presume that's what we call Hammerite

The only way to get paint to cure properly and be as hard as factory is to bake it in a paint booth, as this bike is a keeper the cost of a pro paint job and powder coating run about the same and powder coating is way better I'd choke the cost and powder coat it once.Striping a bike to re do the frame is a PITA.

Tremclad and hammerite are closer to the same POR is more of a industrial finnish and fades out in a year

You can buy another bike give it a cheap paint job and flip it to cover the costs incured in this build.

Thanks all, that answered my question. Think I will go for the powder coat if I can find someone local but rattle cans are another good idea, didn't know you could get Hammerite in spray cans so that might be better still. Food for thought though. Much obliged.

I know people will probably cringe but when my bike was only about six months old the frame started to show signs of rust near the joints I was only a young inexperienced lad back then and don't think there was that much to choose from so I hammerited it with a brush, looked like glass when I'd done it and its still on today, it no longer looks like glass but there are still no signs of rust only problem is getting the stuff off to redo it with something else.

Slice, dude...

You know that FJ Owners Club I keep going on about? The one with the members' parts shop?

You'll never guess what they have there!!

£7.60 - Black engine paint, enamel

£4.49 - Silver frame paint, metallic

£4.49 - Grey wheel paint, metallic

All in the exact, correct colours!!

http://www.fjcatalogue.com/paint.html

Thanks Tasky, I had forgotten all about them !! Will go now and see what they have handy, not to fussed about the colour but would be nice to keep it original and at those prices makes sense to stick with the original. See that's why there are no DAFT questions just daft people not willing to listen !!! When I stop listening and start knowing it all "JUST SHOOT ME".

The shop is for members only, but at £17 annual fees and all the benefits, you'd be silly not to!!

There's also this stuff - 2 part (paint and activator) in a can, I know it's been brought up on the forums before but this should be considered:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aero-spraytm-ceramic-chassis-black.html

That link is ceramic black chassis paint with the activator/hardener built in.

Now that is interesting stuff Feliks, I will have to get some more info on that and see what works out best and cheapest. Was wondering about engine paint and that stuff looks perfect.

That same company has an engine specific high heat paint...with hardener, that you can spray or brush on too! I purchased my DA sander from them but haven't tried their paints yet.