new bike test rules from 19th january 2013

mervin
This post is 3770 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Routes to Your motorcycle / scooter Licence

19th January 2013 will see the introduction of the 3rd Driving Licence Directive (or 3DLD). The 3DLD will see several changes to the way the motorcycle licence system works, most notably the changes to age restrictions in each licence category, but more importantly the fact that licences WILL NOT automatically upgrade after a period of 2 years, as they have done in the past. For more details, see the table as below:

If you have a full car licence issued before 1st February 2001 you may ride a restricted 50cc moped on the road without L plates (and carry a passenger), but you still need to pass your CBT test to ride any motorcycle over 50cc.

Provisional Licence CBT Theory Test
Either included in your full car licence or as part of a provisional licence. You must complete Compulsory Basic Training before you ride on the road.* This is required even if you have a car licence. The Pass Certificate lasts 2 years.

If you are 16+ and you just want to ride a moped, you have the option to complete an 'AM' moped-specific licence. You will be limited to a 50cc moped & 28mph.

If you are 17+ and you want to ride larger motorcycles, you have 3 possible routes:
A1 Licence
Test motorcycles:
No sidecar / min. 120cc - max. 125cc / max. output of 11kW (15 bhp).
Passing grants a restricted Category A1 motorcycle licence. You can ride any motorcycle up to 11kW (15 bhp)†.
You can carry a passenger and use motorways and don’t need L plates.
*A1 licence WILL NOT automatically convert into a full Category A2 licence, you will be required to complete a Category A2 licence test.
†Not exceeding 0.1kw/kg power-to-weight

A2 Licence

Test motorcycle:
No sidecar / min. 395cc / min. 25kW (33.0 bhp) - max. 35kW (46.6 bhp).
Passing grants a restricted Category A2 motorcycle licence. You can ride any motorcycle up to 35kw (46.6 bhp)†.
You can carry a passenger, use the motorways and don’t need L plates.

*A2 licence WILL NOT automatically convert into a full Category A licence, you will be required to complete a Category A licence test.
*Upgrading from an A1 licence DOES NOT require a CBT & Theory Test re-take.
†Not exceeding 0.2kw/kg power-to-weight

A2* Licence
Restrictor kits will be available for these models to comply with the A2 licence category.

A Licence
Age: 24 + (21 if upgrading from an A2 licence, with minimum 2 years experience)
Test motorcycle:
No sidecar / min. 595cc / min. 40kW (53.6 bhp).
Passing grants a full Category A motorcycle licence. You can ride a machine of any size, carry a passenger and use motorways.
*Upgrading from an A2 licence DOES NOT require a CBT & Theory Test re-take.
*Upgrading directly from an A1 licence requires a Theory Test re-take.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Why don't CAR drivers have to do the same thing? it's bloody ridiculous, at 17 you can drive (if you can afford it and the insurance) a Ferrari or anything including a thousand horse power engine, yet your not capable of riding anything over 125 cc on a bike, where is the sense in all of this? RANT OFF. emoticons not working for me so had to do my own.

• Like 1

Why don't CAR drivers have to do the same thing? it's bloody ridiculous, at 17 you can drive (if you can afford it and the insurance) a Ferrari or anything including a thousand horse power engine, yet your not capable of riding anything over 125 cc on a bike, where is the sense in all of this? RANT OFF. emoticons not working for me so had to do my own.

have to fully agree with you , see the outcry that would happen if you could only drive 1000cc car, then up to 1400cc then unlimited if you sit your test driving 2000cc +, and all thes engine sizes had age restrictions.

YES!!! pisses me off so much. As long as mommy and daddy have the cash you can hammer a fucking sports car around.

in all honesty you can't even compare a 1000CC car to a 125 bike, because on a 125 you might be able to hit 70. Most liter cars will get you damn near a ton. plus you can pack all you mates in there before you wrap it around a tree. at most a bike can hold two people...and in my experience most bikers don't take pillion passengers anyways!

It's all about the moneys.

Shall we try and get a huge biker rally through a busy city center to raise awareness.

10'000 bikes going about 10mph through a city center. do this as often a possible until changes are made hahahaha.

You could bring a whole traffic network to a near standstill.

But lets face it, turn out wont be huge as a fair amount of the people that have had their licenses for years couldn't give a fuck about the struggles of another generation - GO ON, prove me wrong :)

But lets face it, turn out wont be huge as a fair amount of the people that have had their licenses for years couldn't give a fuck about the struggles of another generation - GO ON, prove me wrong :)

You are wrong. Most of us who have been riding for years have children who also want to ride. This affects us because it affects our kids, the next generation of bikers.

• Like 1

Next time the political canvasers come knocking, hit them with this question,, i got a few questions for the 2014 independece tossers. Am gonna ask" what happen to the single Farm payment , if we break from UK,, watch them squirm, and dont let em know what side of the fence am on, Coz thats a HUGE benefit , for the ritch,, :eusa_snooty:

Yep all about the monies, i agree that the crater faced burbury Maccy D racers should all take the same licence restrictions as the bikers should. it happens over in places like Sweeden and other EU countries.

As for the little rally welshwan not so long ago (think Sept 2011) there was a MAG rally all over the country about bike modifications, 15mph down main duel Carridge ways and motorways how much new coverage did that get.....................next to fook all and im not even sure what the out come was. Still a jolly good laugh and ride out.

I tell ya what it would need to be a bhp restriction as well , some litre cars are running big bhp,s now , I gotta 1200 3 pot diesel runing 75bhp , 20 years ago the golf 1600 gt turbo diesel was rated quick for a diesel and that was only 80 bhp in a bigget car

So glad i got my license old school and in those days the government were banging on about 250cc motorbikes being too powerful.The biker community is always going to be a easy target as long as people see idiots on (mainly sports bikes ) tear arsing around.I couldn't agree more about young drivers in cars. Something definitely needs to be done .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online